Indians across the country are celebrating Navami 2018 today, which is the last day of the festival. These nine auspicious days are dedicated to worship the nine forms of Goddess Durga. The ninth day of Navratri, known as Ram Navami, holds a special significance in several households. According to the Hindu calendar, Navami started yesterday and ends today, that is 18th October, 2018. It is believed that on this day, Goddess Durga annihilated Mahishasura and veered off his head using a trishool. This year, Ashtami tithi ends on 17th October, post which Ram Navami tithi begins. While some people end their Navratra fasts on Ashtami, some end it on Ram Navami by holding kanjak or kanya puja. Nine girls are welcomed into the house by washing their feet. They are then seated in a line and served a delicious bhog along with some gift items.
The bhog prepared for the Kanjak has around three to four dishes served on a plate along with gift items. It includes kala chana, sooji ka halwa, puri and kheer. Here are the recipes of the bhog you could prepare on Navami for the Kanjak.
1. Kala Chana
You can prepare both the varieties- sookhe kaale channe and kale channe rassedar. Here are the recipes:
Kaale Channe Rassedar Recipe
- 2 cups kale channe
- 2 cups grated onions
- 2 tsp ginger and garlic paste
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp cumin seeds
- 2 cups grated tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 Tbsp coriander seeds - powdered
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 2-3 green chillies
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 Tbsp chopped coriander leaves - for garnish
- Cook channas till tender but bite like.
- Strain and keep the liquid and the channa separate.
- Heat oil and add cumin and bayleaves.
- When the cumin splutters, add onions, garlic and ginger.
- Stir-fry till onions are well fried and fat separates.
- Add tomatoes and stir fry till fat separates once again.
- Add salt, turmeric, coriander and chilli powder and turn around a till well mixed.
- Add the channas and green chillies and turn around a few times over high heat.
- Measure the liquid, make it upto four cups with water and add to the beans and bring to a boil and then simmer, till the gravy is well blended, and not watery.
Sookhe Kaale Channe Recipe
- 1 cup kala channa-soaked 4-5 hours
- 1 1/2 tsp kala namak or normal salt
- 1 tsp bhuna pissa jeera (cumin)
- Lemon juice to taste
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- A few strips of ginger
- 1/2 tsp amchoor
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- A pinch of red chili powder
- 1 Tbsp oil
- Wash the channas and boil in fresh water till cooked but not mashed. (Use a pressure cooker and till one whistle goes off).
- Drain and cool.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the ginger.
- Saute till ginger changes colour a bit and add the rest of the ingredients along with the channas, except the lemon juice.
- Cook for about 2 minutes, serve garnished with lemon juice.
- You can adjust the masalas according to your taste.
- 1/2 Cup Ghee
- 1 Cup Sooji (Semolina)
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Cardamom
- 1 Cup Milk
- 3 Tbsp Dry fruits
- 1 Tbsp Ghee
- Take ghee in a pan, add sooji to it.
- Stir the sooji with the ghee thoroughly.
- Add sugar and cardamom and mix them well.
- Now add milk and dry fruits. Whisk them thoroughly.
- Cover the pan for a while and let the mixture boil.
- After some time, open the pan and mix thoroughly.
- Add some ghee and more dry fruits to the halwa and mix well.
- Serve hot with garnishing of crushed dry fruits.
- 5 Cups Milk, full cream
- 1/4 Cup Rice (washed)
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 10-12 Raisins
- 4 Green cardamoms
- 10-12 Almonds (shredded), blanched
- Boil the rice and milk in a deep pan.
- Simmer over low flame, stirring occasionally till the rice is cooked and the milk becomes thick.
- When done add sugar, raisins and cardamoms.
- Stir till sugar gets dissolved properly.
- Transfer into a serving dish and garnish with almonds.
- Serve hot or chilled.
This year Mahanavami starts on 17th October and would end on 18th October.
Navami Tithi Begins - 12:49 PM on 17th October, 2018
Navami Tithi Ends - 15:28 PM on 18th October, 2018 (Source: Drikpanchang.com)
Enjoy Navami 2018 with the delicious bhog! Wishing you all a very Happy Navratri 2018!