Engineering, as a field of study, remains a lucrative career option after 12th. As per data released by CBSE, about 12 lakh students had applied for the JEE Main examination last year. JEE Main examination is the entrance examination conducted for admission to NITs, IIITs and other centrally and state-funded engineering institutes. This year more than 9 lakh students had applied for the JEE Main exam which was conducted in January, and 9,35,741 had registered for the JEE Main April exam which will conclude tomorrow.
In India, all higher education institutes are officially ranked by NIRF. NIRF India Ranking 2019 was recently released and as per NIRF 2019, Anna University is the top among non-IIT institutes/universities offering engineering courses in India.
Other than IITs, NITs are also considered to be premier in the field of engineering. National Institutes of Technology (NIT) are autonomous public institutes. There are total 31 NITs in India out of which NIT Tiruchirappalli is at rank 10, NIT Rourkela at rank 16 and NIT Suratkal in Karnataka is at 21st position in the NIRF rankings for engineering institutes.
NIRF Ranking 2019: Top 25 Non IIT Engineering Colleges
- Anna University, Chennai (NIRF Rank 9)
- National Institute of Technology Tiruchirappalli (NIRF Rank 10)
- Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai (NIRF Rank 12)
- Jadavpur University, West Bengal (NIRF Rank 14)
- National Institute of Technology Rourkela (NIRF Rank 16)
- Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore (NIRF Rank 18)
- Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology, Shibpur (NIRF Rank 19)
- National Institute of Technology Suratkal, Karnataka (NIRF Rank 21)
- Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology, Patiala, Punjab (NIRF Rank 23)
- Birla Institute of Technology & Science, Pilani, Rajasthan (NIRF Rank 25)
- National Institute of Technology Warangal, Telangana (NIRF Rank 26)
- Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi (NIRF Rank 27)
- National Institute of Technology Calicut, Kozhikode (NIRF Rank 28)
- Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala (NIRF Rank 30)
- Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology, Nagpur, Maharashtra (NIRF Rank 31)
- Siksha 'O' Anusandhan,Bhubaneswar, Odisha (NIRF Rank 32)
- Birla Institute of Technology, Ranchi (NIRF Rank 33)
- Delhi Technological University, New Delhi (NIRF Rank 34)
- Amity University, Gautam Buddh Nagar, UP (NIRF Rank 35)
- SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai, Tamil Nadu (NIRF Rank 36)
- Sri Sivasubramaniya Nadar College of Engineering, Kancheepuram, Tamil Nadu (NIRF Rank 37)
- Shanmugha Arts Science Technology & Research Academy, Thanjavur (NIRF Rank 38)
- International Institute of Information Technology Hyderabad, Telangana (NIRF Rank 39)
- Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh (NIRF Rank 40)
- National Institute of Technology Kurukshetra, Haryana (NIRF Rank 41)
Click Here for more Education News
Get Breaking news, live coverage, and Latest News from India and around the world on NDTV.com. Catch all the Live TV action on NDTV 24x7 and NDTV India. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.