"We are confident that our JV company will benefit from the significant technology transfers and support from Thales, and from the extensive industrial and design skills of BEL," Bharat Electronics chairman and managing director S K Sharma said in a statement.
This joint venture company will primarily focus on designing, development, marketing, supply and support of civilian and select defence radars for domestic and global markets.
The first board meeting of BEL-Thales Systems Limited has been already held on September 26.
BEL holds a 74 per cent stake in the joint venture while Thales holds the remaining 26 per cent.
The initial product portfolio of BEL-THALES Systems will comprise innovative solutions for air surveillance, including Air Traffic Management radars, and select ground-based military radars.
The ultimate objective of the JV is to expand its scope in other fields than radars in the defence electronics domain.
"We will constantly support BEL-Thales Systems to become a centre of excellence, offering solutions specifically aimed at meeting the needs of both Indian and export customers - in line with the government's 'Make in India' approach," Thales managing director in India Eric Lenseigne said.