Car sales in India fell for the first time in a decade. Sales are expected to be subdued in the current fiscal year too. High interest rates, rising fuel prices and economic downturn have hurt auto sales. The auto industry, until recently growing at 30 per cent a year, has turned into one plagued by huge discounts, showrooms full of unsold cars, and chronic overcapacity. However, global investment bank Macquarie says growth will be skewed in favor of companies that introduce new models/variants.
Here are the key models to be launched over the next 12 months
- Honda Amaze: The first Honda model to offer diesel in India will be launched on Thursday. The super compact car will compete with Maruti DZire and Toyota Etios and is likely to be priced between Rs 5 lakh and Rs 7.5 lakh.
- Ford's EcoSport compact SUV, likely to be launched in mid-2013, will take on Mahindra Scorpio and Renault Duster. The EcoSport is likely to be priced between Rs 7 lakh and Rs 9 lakh and is the most anticipated launch of 2013.
- Maruti's yet-to-be named SUV, likely to be launched in early 2014, will take on Mahindra Scorpio and Renault Duster. The compact SUV is likely to be priced around Rs 7 lakh.
- Nissan may launch its compact SUV in August 2013. Priced between Rs 7.5 lakh and Rs 11.5 lakh, the rebadged Duster will take on Mahindra Scorpio and Renault Duster.
- Hyundai's refreshed i10 is likely to debut in September 2013. The compact car will compete with Maruti Ritz and Swift and is likely to be priced between Rs 3.5 and Rs 6 lakh. It may also offer a diesel variant.
- Maruti's next generation SX4 is likely to debut by the end of 2013. The executive sedan will take on VW Vento, Nissan Sunny and Renault Scala and is likely to be priced between Rs 6.5 lakh and Rs 8.5 lakh.
- Mahindra Verito (sub 4 meter): The new super compact model from M&M is likely to be launched in mid-2013. Pitted against Maruti DZire and Toyota Etios, it will likely be priced around Rs 6 lakh.
- General Motors will launch a facelift version of Beat. The compact car to be launched in mid-2013 will take on Maruti Ritz and Swift, and may sport a price tag of Rs 3.80-Rs 5.70 lakh. It will only be a styling update.
- Maruti's facelifted A-star, likely to be launched in mid-2013, will take on Hyundai Eon and Maruti Alto. The mini car, which is likely to be a comprehensive makeover, will be priced around Rs 3.7 to Rs 4.5 lakh.
- Ford's facelifted Fiesta may debut by the end of 2013. The executive sedan will take on VW Vento, Nissan Sunny and Renault Scala, and is likely to cost around Rs 7.5 lakh-Rs 11.5 lakh.