NSE Symbol: | BSE Code: | ISIN: | Sector:
- Add to Portfolio
- Add to Watchlist
- Add to Alert
Trent is part of the Tata Group and is engaged in business of retailing. In the year 1998 Tatas acquired Littlewoods – a London–based retail chain. Later Tata group established Trent and renamed the Littlewoods as Westside.
Presently, Trent is restructuring its business by closing loss–making value fashion format stores, Fashion Yatra and revamping its operations in Sisley brand. As a part of its restructuring plan, it converted the stores of Fashion Yatra into its popular department store, Westside. There are five Fashion Yatra stores located at Kalyan near Mumbai, Ujjain in Madhya Pradesh, Nanded and Sangli in Maharashtra and Hyderabad in Andhra Pradesh.
Trent operates 61 Westside department stores and a dozen hypermarkets under the Star Bazaar brand. It also runs Landmark book–stores and stores of Spanish brand Zara. As a part of their retail expansion plans, the company plans to touch the 100 store mark in Westside in the next four years. It also wants to take the Star Bazaar count to 50 in the next couple years, which is expected to help it achieve scale and profitability.
Westside offers wide variety of products such as stylized clothes, footwear and accessories for men, women and children to well–co–coordinated table linens, artifacts, home accessories and furnishings. Today, Westside is one of India's largest and fastest growing chains of retail stores.
In 2004 the company ventured in hypermarket business with Star Bazaar. This outlet is currently located in 3 cities namely Ahmedabad, Mumbai and Bangalore. It offers wide range of products affordable prices such as at staple foods, beverages, health and beauty products, vegetables, fruits, dairy products, consumer electronics and household items.
In 2008 Trent announced an association with Tesco Plc, the UK?óÔé¼Ôäós leading retailer and one of the world?óÔé¼Ôäós top three leading international retailers. This arrangement will allow Trent access to Tesco?óÔé¼Ôäós extensive retail expertise and technical capability including world class IT systems, processes and best practices in functions like marketing, stock management, retail information systems, cold–chain infrastructure and front–end services to drive the growth of Trent?óÔé¼Ôäós hypermarket business, which is operated under the name Star Bazaar.
In 2009 Trent announced a joint venture with Inditex Group to develop and promote Zara stores in India. Inditex is one of the world?óÔé¼Ôäós biggest fashion retailers from Spain.In the MoU signed, Inditex would hold 51 per cent while Trent would hold a 49 per cent stake in the joint venture company.
Jamshed Daboo was appointed as the chief executive officer of Trent Hypermarket with effect from June 1, 2010.
Areas of business
- Westside: With a number of stores across India, this chain offers clothes, footwear and accessories for men, women and children, along with furnishings, artifacts and a range of home accessories.
- Star Bazaar: This hypermarket chain offers a wide choice of products, including staple foods, beverages, health and beauty products, vegetables, fruits, dairy and non–vegetarian products.
- Landmark: A leader in the books and music category, this chain has a range of over 100,000 titles in books and music, and also stocks movies, toys, gift items and stationery.
- Fashion Yatra: The stores bring quality fashion at low prices to value conscious customers in towns across India.
- Trent was honoured with NDTV Profit Business Leadership Awards 2006 – Retail Category.
- Trent?óÔé¼Ôäós retail brand Westside received Most Admired Large Format Retail Chain of the Year at Lycra Images Fashion Awards 2005.