NSE Symbol: | BSE Code: | ISIN: | Sector:
- Add to Portfolio
- Add to Watchlist
- Add to Alert
Established in 1907, Tata Steel, the flagship company of the Tata group is the first integrated steel plant in Asia and is now the world`s second most geographically diversified steel producer and a Fortune 500 Company. Backed by 100 glorious years of experience in steel making, Tata Steel is the world?s 6th largest steel company with an existing annual crude steel production capacity of 30 Million Tonnes Per Annum (MTPA). Tata Steel has a balanced global presence in over 50 developed European and fast growing Asian markets, with manufacturing units in 26 countries.
It was the vision of the founder; Jamsetji Nusserwanji Tata, that on February 27, 1908, the first stake was driven into the soil of Sakchi. His vision helped Tata Steel overcome several periods of adversity and strive to improve against all odds.
Tata Steel`s Jamshedpur (India) Works has a crude steel production capacity of 6.8 MTPA which is slated to increase to 10 MTPA by 2010. The Company also has proposed three Greenfield steel projects in the states of Jharkhand, Orissa and Chhattisgarh in India with additional capacity of 23 MTPA and a Greenfield project in Vietnam.
Through investments in Corus, Millennium Steel (renamed Tata Steel Thailand) and NatSteel Holdings, Singapore, Tata Steel has created a manufacturing and marketing network in Europe, South East Asia and the pacific-rim countries. Corus, which manufactured over 20 MTPA of steel in 2008, has operations in the UK, the Netherlands, Germany, France, Norway and Belgium.
Tata Steel Thailand is the largest producer of long steel products in Thailand, with a manufacturing capacity of 1.7 MTPA. Tata Steel has proposed a 0.5 MTPA mini blast furnace project in Thailand. NatSteel Holdings produces about 2 MTPA of steel products across its regional operations in seven countries.
Tata Steel, through its joint venture with Tata BlueScope Steel Limited, has also entered the steel building and construction applications market.
The iron ore mines and collieries in India give the Company a distinct advantage in raw material sourcing. Tata Steel is also striving towards raw materials security through joint ventures in Thailand, Australia, Mozambique, Ivory Coast (West Africa) and Oman. Tata Steel has signed an agreement with Steel Authority of India Limited to establish a 50:50 joint venture company for coal mining in India. Also, Tata Steel has bought 19.9% stake in New Millennium Capital Corporation, Canada for iron ore mining.
Exploration of opportunities in titanium dioxide business in Tamil Nadu, ferro-chrome plant in South Africa and setting up of a deep-sea port in coastal Orissa are integral to the Growth and Globalisation objective of Tata Steel.
Tata Steel India is the first integrated steel company in the world, outside Japan, to be awarded the Deming Application Prize 2008 for excellence in Total Quality Management.
Business divisions of the company:
- Bearings Division : Manufactures ball bearings, double row self-aligning bearings, magneto bearings, clutch release bearings and tapered roller bearings for two wheelers, fans, water pumps, etc.
- Ferro Alloys and Minerals Division : Operates chrome mines and has units for making ferro chrome and ferro manganese. It is one of the largest players in the global ferro chrome market.
- Agrico Division : Tata Agrico is the first organized manufacturer in India of hand tools and implements for application in agriculture.
- Tata Growth Shop (TGS) : Has designed, developed, manufactured, erected and commissioned thousands of tonnes of equipment ranging from overhead cranes to high precision components, including a rocket launch pad for the Indian Space and Research Organization.
- Tubes Division : The biggest steel tube manufacturer with the largest market share in India, it aspires to strengthen its market presence by expanding and modernizing its commercial and precision tube manufacturing capacity.
- Wire Division : A pioneer in the manufacture of steel wires in India, it produces coated and uncoated wires, branded as Tata Wiron. The division also operates a wholly owned subsidiary in Sri Lanka.
Joint ventures and Associates:
- Corus- Europe?s second largest steel maker with operations in the UK and mainland Europe
- Tinplate Company of India Limited (TCIL)
- Tayo Rolls Limited
- Tata Ryerson Limited (TRYL)
- Tata Refractories Limited (TRL)
- Tata Sponge Iron Limited (TSIL)
- Tata Metaliks
- Tata Pigments Limited
- Jamshedpur Injection Powder Limited (Jamipol)
- TM International Logistics Limited (TMILL)
- mjunction services limited
- TRF Limited
- Jamshedpur Utility and Service Company Limited (JUSCO)
- The Indian Steel and Wire Products Limited (ISWP)
- Tata BlueScope Steel Limited
- Dhamra Port Company, Orissa
- Hooghly Met Coke & Power Company
- Lanka Special Steel Limited
- Sila Eastern Company Limited
- NatSteel Holdings (NSH)
- Tata Steel Thailand
- Tata Steel KZN- South Africa
- Tata NYK : A joint venture with Nippon Yusen Kabushiki Kaisha
Tata Steel awarded the prestigious BML Munjal Award
Tata Steel conferred the prestigious Indian MAKE Award 2013
Tata Steel granted Core Supplier status by PSA Peugeot Citro�n
CII-ITC Sustainability Prize 2012 for Tata Steel
Mr B Muthuraman conferred with Padma Bhushan Award
Tata Steel tops list of India's 50 most admired companies
Tata Steel bags National Safety Awards for two mines
Tata Steel wins Deming Grand Prize 2012
Tata Steel wins the 'The Businessworld Most Respected Company Award 2011'
Tata Steel bags two prestigious awards at the MMMM Exhibition 2011
TSRDS Jharia receives Best NGO award
Tata Steel conferred with ABCI Awards
- Tata Steel stall bags first prize in 'Heavy Industry' category at Udyog Mela-2011, Ranchi Ranchi, March 17, 2011
- Tata Steel has won `The Businessworld Most Respected Company Award 2011? in the Metals category.
Tata Steel proud to receive 6th 'INDIAN MAKE' award
Tata Steel Receives National Energy Conservation Award 2010
Tata Steel's employees awarded the Prime Minister's Shram Awards for 2005-07
worldsteel' confers Tata Steel the S&H Excellence Recognition Award 2010
CSR Excellence Award to Tata Steel
- TATA Steel received two awards under the?Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puraskar? for its remarkable contribution spanning several decades in the field of sports in 2009.
- Tata Steel India awarded the Deming Application Prize 2008 for excellence in Total Quality Management. It is the first integrated steel company in the world, outside Japan to get this award.
- World Steel Dynamics has ranked Tata Steel as the world's best steel maker (for two consecutive years) in its annual listing in February 2006.
- Tata Steel has been conferred the Prime Minister of India's Trophy for the Best Integrated Steel Plant five times. It has been awarded Asia's Most Admired Knowledge Enterprise award five times in 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007 and 2008.
- Conferred the prestigious Global Business Coalition Award for Business Excellence in the Community in recognition of its pioneering work in the field of HIV/ AIDS awareness.
- Tata Steel works has been conferred the prestigious social accountability (SA) 8000 certification by social. Accountability international (SAI), USA. It is the first steel company in the world to receive this certificate.
- Corporate Sustainability Report of Tata Steel hailed by United Nation's Environment Programme (UNEP) and Standard and poor as strongest, submitted by any corporate house from emerging economies.
- Best governed company Award 2006 for setting high standards in governance practices.
- Tata Steel won 'Award for Corporate Social Responsibility in Public health' by US- Indian Business Council (USIBC), Population Services International (PSI) and the center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) in 2007.