NSE Symbol: | BSE Code: | ISIN: | Sector:
- Add to Portfolio
- Add to Watchlist
- Add to Alert
National Mineral Development Corporation (NMDC) was incorporated in 1958 as a Government of India fully owned public enterprise. The company is under the administrative control of the Ministry of Steel, Government of India.
Since inception it is involved in the exploration of a wide range of minerals including iron ore, copper, rock phosphate, lime stone, dolomite, gypsum, bentonite, magnesite, diamond, tin, tungsten, graphite, beach sands, etc. NMDC is India's single largest iron ore producer and exporter, presently producing about 30 million tonnes of iron ore from three fully mechanized mines viz., Bailadila Deposit–14/11C, Bailadila Deposit–5, 10/11A (Chhattisgarh State) and Donimalai Iron Ore Mines (Karnataka State), which are awarded ISO 9001–2000 certification.
The company has the only mechanized diamond mine in the country with a capacity of 1.00 lakh carats per annum at Panna in Madhya Pradesh. The mine remained non–operational since August 22, 2005 as per the directives of MP Pollution Control Board. The issues have now been resolved and formal orders have been received from the state government on June 19, 2009 to start the mining operations.
Strong back up of an ISO 9001 certified R&D Centre, which has been declared as the ‘Centre of Excellence’ in the field of mineral processing by the Expert Group of UNIDO.
The story of NMDC is woven around the dreamy hills and the deep jungle land of Bastar in Chhattisgarh, known as Dandakaranya from the epic periods. The Bailadila iron ore range contains 1200 million tonnes of high grade iron ore distributed in 14 deposits. The entire area was brought to the mainstream of civilization by the spectacular effort of NMDC by opening–up of mines. Today, Bailadila is a name to reckon with in the world iron ore market because of its super high grade iron ore. Bailadila complex possesses the world's best grade of hard lumpy ore having +66% iron content, with negligible deleterious material and the best physical and metallurgical properties needed for steel making.
In the past, NMDC had developed many mines like Kiriburu, Meghataburu iron ore mines in Bihar, Khetri Copper deposit in Rajasthan, Kudremukh Iron Ore Mine in Karnataka, Phosphate deposit in Mussorie, some of which were later handed over to other companies in public sector and others became independent companies. The company is presently producing about 22 million tonnes of iron ore from its Bailadila sector mines and 7 million tonnes from Donimalai sector mines.
The company has made valuable and substantial contribution to the national efforts in the mineral sector during the last five decades and has been accorded the status of schedule–A Public Sector Company. In recognition to the company's growing status and consistent excellent performance, it has been categorized by the Department of Public Enterprises as ‘Navratna’ Public Sector Enterprise in 2008.
The demand for steel will continue to grow in the years to come and this in turn would call for increased demand for iron ore. NMDC is gearing itself to meet the expected increase in demand by enhancing production capabilities of existing mines and opening up new mines – Deposit –11B in Bailadila sector and Kumaraswamy in Donimalai sector. The production capability would increase to around 50 million tonnes per year by 2014–15.
Apart from iron ore, NMDC is developing Magnesite mine in Jammu and Arki Lime Stone Project in Himachal Pradesh. For value addition, the company is in the process of developing a 3 mtpa steel plant at Jagdalpur and two pellet plants at Donimalai (1.2 mtpa) and at Bacheli (2 mtpa).
Besides, NMDC is also in the process of merging Sponge Iron India Limited with plan for expansion to produce billets.
Besides iron ore, it is also plans to go for other minerals like coal, diamond, gold, etc for which company is looking forward for leases / buy properties from foreign countries directly / under Special Purpose Vehicle / Joint Ventures.
For continuing the exploration activities, NMDC has set a Global Exploration Centre at Raipur, Chhattisgarh. It is taking up diversification activities through its intensive R&D efforts for production of high–tech and high value added products from Blue Dust like carbon free sponge iron powder, nano crystalline powder. Besides, study is also being conducted for setting up a demonstration plant to beneficiate BHJ/BHQ material for upgradation to +64% Fe iron ore concentrate.
NMDC is also investing in development of renewable energy resources as an environment friendly investment. A wind mill project of 10.5MW capacity has been completed & commissioned at Karnataka.
NMDC has always shown great concern for environment protection. At all its projects care is taken in this regard by tree plantation, making tailing dams/check dams at different places.
- Bailadila iron ore mine, Kirandui Complex
- Bailadila iron ore mine, Bacheli Complex
The company serves clients like MMTC, Rashtriya Ispat Nigam (VSP), Essar Steel, Ispat Industries, Vikram Sponge Iron, Sponge Iron India, KIOCL, JSW Steel, Visvesvaraya Iron & Steel Plant, Aparant Iron & Steel Company, Lanco Industries, Tata Metalliks, Kirloskar Ferrous Industries, Southern Iron & Steel Company and CG based Sponge Iron Units.
- Investigation – In the early sixties NMDC had the task to investigate the known mineral occurrences in the country, which could be commercially exploited. And the name continues. The company has explored nationally and internationally in area of iron ore, limestone & dolomite, diamonds, copper, bentonite, emerald, magnesite, rock phosphate, sapphire and tungsten and graphite.
- Resource Planning – During the last 40 years, the company has developed various mining projects and in the course of development of these mines, The company gained enough practical experience in the fields of prospecting and mining. On the basis of prospecting reports and demand, the department is capable of development of mine plan and obtain permission from the Mining Development Regulatory Authorities (like IBM in India). The department’s capabilities are mine reserve estimation, pit optimisation and preparation of techno–economic feasibility reports and detailed project reports. The division also coordinates with the Planning Commission and ministry as well as Public Investment Board for getting the clearance for the projects. The department is fully equipped with latest mine planning software and project evaluation software.
- Engineering – At the corporate headquarters, NMDC has established a well organised engineering department with experienced engineers in the disciplines of civil, mechanical, electrical, mineral dressing and mining. The experts heading these various disciplines have practical working experience in the operation of mines and plants. The Department is also equipped with project management software (PRIMA VERA).
- 2010 Life Time Achievment Award
- 2012. Mining Engineer of the Year
Corporate Management Excellence Award for 2012 – 13,
- 2013 HR Leadership Award
Steelies– 2013 – Award
- 2014 Efficient Navratna award