NSE Symbol: | BSE Code: | ISIN: | Sector:
- Add to Portfolio
- Add to Watchlist
- Add to Alert
National Aluminium Company (Nalco) was incorporated in 1981, as a public sector enterprise under the Ministry of Mines.
The total capital cost of Rs 2408 crore was funded through the Government of India's contribution of Rs1289 crore and a euro–dollar loan from a consortium f Iinternational banks of Rs1119 crore.
The company has Asia's largest integrated aluminium complex, encompassing bauxite mining, alumina refining, aluminium smelting and casting, power generation, rail and port operations.
Commissioned during 1985–87, Nalco has emerged to be a star performer in production, export of alumina and aluminium, and more significantly, in propelling a self–sustained growth.
Nalco, since its inception, has taken adequate steps for pollution control and effective environment management.
Nalco's technology associate Aluminum Pechiney (AP), France, with its experience of stringent pollution control standards in Europe, has ensured eco–friendly process technology. With the growing environmental awareness in India and framing of stringent and statutory regulations, Nalco achieved all statutory clearances before starting its production.
Strict adherence to approved EMP and constant monitoring has helped Nalco to achieve considerable success in the field of environment management.
The company’s bauxite mine is located at Panchpatmali Hills in Koraput district of Orissa. It is a fully mechanized open–cast mine, in operation since 1985. It serves feed–stock to alumina refinery. The capacity of mine has increased from 24,00,000 tonnes per year (tpy) to 48,00,000 tpy.
Nalco’s alumina refinery is located at Damanjodi in Koraput district, which began operations in 1986. It is amongst the top ten alumina refineries in the world. The refinery operates three production streams, each of 5.25 lakh tpy and 3x18.5 MW co–generation of power. The capacity of the refinery has increased from 8,00,000 tpy to 15,75,000 tpy.
Its aluminium smelter is located at Angul in Orissa, which is in operation since 1987. It comprises integrated casting & rolling facilities and energy–efficient state–of–the–art Pechiney technology (France). The capacity of smelter has increased from 2,18,000 tpy to 3,45,000 tpy
A captive power plant is located close to smelter. It also has captive rail system for coal transport from Talcher Coalfields. The plant feeds uninterrupted power to smelter and is connected to state grid for sale of surplus power. The capacity of power plant has increased from 600 MW to 960 MW
Port facilities are also located on the inner harbour of Visakhapatnam Port with mechanized storage and ship handling facilities for exporting alumina and importing caustic soda. The storage capacity is of 75,000 tonnes of alumina and 30,000 tonnes of caustic soda and can handle up to 1 million tonnes of alumina export per year.
Nalco operates a rolled product unit, which is a 100% export oriented unit and is located close to the smelter plant at Angul. The company acquired this unit from IAPL in March 2000. It has a product mix of aluminium alloy coils and sheets with capacity of 50,000 tpy.
Exports – The company exports alumina products to countries namely USA, Georgia, Iran, China, Russia, Australia, Indonesia and the UAE.
It exports aluminium products to countries namely Italy, Bahrain, Germany, China, Philippines, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea, UAE, Japan, Turkey, USA and Vietnam
The R&D centres at Angul and Damanjodi are recognized by Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India.
- Calcined Alumina
- Alumina Hydrate
- Speciality Aluminas & Hydrates
- Detergent GradeZeolite
- Standard Ingots
- Sow Ingots
- Wire Rods
- Cast Strips
- Cold Rolled Sheets
- 1981 – Foundation–stone laid by late Indira Gandhi in March 1981.
- 1985–87 – The company commissioned its units between September 1985–March 1987.
- 1987 – The company commenced sale of aluminium in May.
- 1988 – Nalco commenced alumina export in the month of January.
- 1989 – In the month May, the company registered itself on London Metal Exchange.
- 1998 – The company achieved zero–debt status in the month of September.
- 1999 – The company’s equity capital was restructured from Rs 1288.62 crore to Rs 644.31 crore in the month March.
- All production units are ISO 9002 & ISO 14001 certified.
- The company has received the Miniratna PSU status from the Government of India.
- It has received Indira Priyadarshini Vrikshamitra Award in 1994.
- It has bagged CAPEXIL Export Awards for the last 16 years.
- Environment Promotion & Pollution Control Awards from FIMI, FICCI & Orissa State Pollution Control Board
- 2010 National Aluminium Company Ltd. (NALCO) received the Best Listed Central Public Sector Enterprises Award.