NSE Symbol: | BSE Code: | ISIN: | Sector:
- Add to Portfolio
- Add to Watchlist
- Add to Alert
Mahindra Ugine Steel Company Limited (MUSCO), under SYSTECH sector and belonging to the Mahindra Group, is a pioneer & well known manufacturer of alloy steel in the country. The company was incorporated on December 19, 1962. It commenced its operations in 1964 with a licenced capacity of 24,000 tons per annum (tpa) capacity.
The company is engaged in the manufacture of alloy & special steel through Electric Arc Furnace (EAF) route & caters to the automotive,engineering,bearing & other industries. All these segments are witnessing significant growth.The company services an impressive list of customers including, Bharat Forge, SKF, Cummins, Timken & TISCO which bears testimony to its leadership.
In 1981, MUSCO raised it's capacity to 75,000 tpa. Further in 1990, the Perin process, which was being used, was replaced by the Ladle Metallurgy Technology. The current capacity of the plant is 1,80,000 tpa.MUSCO is a subsidiary of Mahindra & Mahindra Limited, the group boasts of 92 companies & seven sectors namely, Auto,Farm Equipment, Trade & Finance, Infrastructure, I.T, Mahindra Integrated Ltd. & Systech.
MUSCO is the most trusted brand when alloy steel is referred to.The company also has three stampings division to manufacture pressed sheet metal components and assemblies,one at Kanhe about 1.5Km off Mumbai–Pune Highway,a major automobile manufacturing center in the country,second at Nashik catering to all auto products of M & M & Renault of France,& the third unit has successfully started commercial production from October 2007 , from the modern state–of–art new plant along with paint shop in Rudrapur (Uttarakhand State) for many new products of customers in North India. Keshub Mahindra is the chairman & Anand Mahindra is the vice–chairman of MUSCO.
The company commenced its operations in 1964 with a licenced capacity of 24,000 tons per annum (tpa) capacity. In 1981, MUSCO raised it's capacity to 75,000 tpa. Further in 1990, the Perin process which was being used was replaced by the Ladle Metallurgy Technology. The current capacity of the plant is 1,80,000 tpa.
The steel plant is located at picturesque town of Khopoli on Mumbai–Pune highway about 100 km from Mumbai. The production facility of MUSCO is spread over an area of 66.89 hectares (165.29 acres) comprising plant on 24.95 hectares (61.65 acres) and residential set–up on 41.94 hectares (103.64 acres). The steel division has implemented in May 2001,ERP system of SAP version 4.6c for 7 modules & has reaped immense benefits.The I.T. infrastructure is very strongly built on LAN connecting 250 workstations & 80 network printers for user online access of SAP servers,internal & external mail,file server for shared information.A very secure VPN enables connectivity to external world for our consulting partners,secretarial office & branch offices to access SAP & mails.
MUSCO has ushered in the new era of SAP by becoming the 1st manufacturing company in India to have implemented mySAPERP 2005(ECC 6.0) which is the latest version of ERP application .The 'GO–LIVE' was a grand success on 2nd April'07 & the switchover from 4.6C to ECC 6.0 version was the smoothest with business process continuity maintained flawlessly.
As a result of the remarkable growth in the automotive industry,the stamping division at Kanhe has increased its throughput significantly & is expected to further improve upon the capacity utilization.Like many other businesses,the stamping industry too has been a victim of over investment in small sub–optimal units which have traditionally been incapable of producing a quality product.The Kanhe stamping division has been able to move up the value chain & with group support,developed the capabilities to produce sub assemblies for Mahindra & Mahindra( M&M),Tata Motors & Ashok Leyland. The recent joint venture announced between M&M & Renault is expected to create greater opportunities for the stamping business.Further, business opportunities are also arising on account of M&M foray into a joint venture with International Trucks for the manufacture of Lite & Heavy Commercial vechiles.These business activities together with the consolidation of stamping business consequent to merger of Pranay Sheetmetal Stampings Limited (Pranay) into the company is expected to add value to the business.
In 2012 – Mahindra Ugine Steel Company Ltd finalised 51:49 JV with Sanyo Special Steel Co. Ltd and Mitsui & Co. Ltd.
Product range of the company includes:
Bottom Poured Ingots– 3 T – Square, 6 T – Square, 6 T – Polygonal, 9T – Polygonal, 13 T – Polygonal
Concast Blooms– 140 x 140 mm CC Blooms, 160 x 145 mm CC Blooms, 200 x 180 mm CC Blooms, 250 x 200 mm CC Blooms
Forge Products– Round 140 to 400 mm Dia in 5 mm increments, Square 140 to 355 mm Square in 5 mm increments, Rectangular Slabs Width – 140 to 355 mm Thickness – 140 to 355 mm.
Hot Rolled Products– Round Bars
Round Cornered Square Bars– Bulged Profile, Regular Profile, Fixed Profile, Rectangle (Slabs), Hexagon Bars, Wire Rods (Coils).
Bright Bars– Peeled Rounds, Peeled & Reeled Rounds, Turned Rounds, Centerless Ground Bars, Drawn Wire.
- Alloy, Tool and Die Steels (AISI H11, AISI H13, AISI O1, etc.
- Plastic Mould Steels (P20, DIN 1.2311, P20+Ni i.e. DIN 1.2738, etc.)
- Engineering Alloy Constructional Steels (En24, En19, AISI 4340, AISI 4140 etc.)
- Ball Bearing Steels (SAE 52100, DIN 100Cr6, DIN 100CrMn6, JIS SUJ3, 20MC5, AISI 3310, AISI 4319, AISI 8219, etc.)
- Air Craft Quality Steels (GOST 30 KHGSA, To Various Aerospace Material Specifications i.e. AMS)
- Offshore Oil Field Steels (17–4 PH i.e. AISI 630, AISI 4130, AISI 420, AISI 410, Custom 455, etc.)
- Austenitic / Ferritic / Martensitic / Duplex / Precipitation Hardening Stainless Steels (AISI 304/L, AISI 316/L, SAE 51410 / AISI 410, AISI 420, DIN X20Cr13, 17–4PH, etc.)
- Case Carburising Steels (DIN 17CrNiMo6, AISI 8620, DIN 20MnCr5, DIN 20CrNi4, En353, En354, etc.)
- Nitriding Steels (En41B, etc.)
- Boron Steels (15B21, 10B36, Custom 1E 0635, Custom 1E 0669, Custom 1E 1239, etc.)
- Automotive Valve Steels (En52, etc.)
- Approvals & awards by different certifying agencies.
- ISO/TS 16949 : 2002 Certification by RWTUV (Germany) in Aug'05.
- AD 2000 WO Certification of a QM System according to Pressure Equipment Directive: 97/23/EC, from RWTUV (Germany).
- Lloyd’s Register, London for Steels used in Ship Building.
- Well Known Steel Maker Certification by Central Boilers Board for Creep Resistant Steel under IBR 1950.
- Certification for Registration of In–House R&D Unit by Ministry of Science & Technologies, Government of India.
- National Award by Ministry of Defence, Government of India for Development of Steels for Aircraft.
- Awarded Best Alloy Plant in India by Indian Institute of Metals in 1995.
- Vikram Sarabhai Space Research Centre for High Temperature Steels for Space Applications.
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited for MIG Supersonic Aircraft Components (Recipient of National Award). Important Approvals & Awards by Customers.
- Siemens (Germany) for High Temperature Steels for Turbines.
- Cummins Award as 'Ship To Use' Supplier.
- Caterpillar for supply of high quality steel bars.