NSE Symbol: | BSE Code: | ISIN: | Sector:
- Add to Portfolio
- Add to Watchlist
- Add to Alert
Ipca Laboratories Limited is pharmaceutical company incorporated in 1949. The company was promoted by a group of medical professionals and businessmen and was incorporated under the name 'The Indian Pharmaceutical Combine Association.'
The company is a fully backward integrated, Indian pharmaceutical company with a strong thrust on exports. The company is the largest manufacturers of few APIs which they produce right from the basic stage. More than half of their formulations business is backed by their own APIs. The APIs and Formulations are produced at world–class manufacturing facilities. These facilities have been approved by leading drug regulatory authorities – US FDA, MHRA UK, TGA Australia, MCC South Africa, WHO Geneva, HPFB Canada, PMDA Japan, WHO Geneva, KFDA Korea, EDQM and LAGeSO Berlin MOH.
Today, the company is therapy leaders in antimalarials and rheumatoid arthritis in the Indian market, with a fast expanding presence in international market as well. The company has brand leadership in 4–5 therapeutic areas, for both Formulations and APIs. Four of their major branded Formulations are ranked among top 300 brands of India and it has emerged as one among the top exporters of APIs in the world. The company is one of the biggest manufacturers in the world of APIs, to name a few – Atenolol (Antihypertensive), Chloroquine Phosphate (Antimalarial), Furosemide (Diuretic), Pyrantel Salts (Anthelmintic), Hydroxy Chloroquine Sulphate (NSAID), Metoprolol Tartrate & Succinate (Antihypertensives). Ipca is also one of the largest suppliers of these APIs and their intermediates world over.
Their top 10 formulation brands are Zerodol (Aceclofenac and Combinations), Lariago (Chloroquine), HCQS (Hydroxychloroquine), Perinorm (Metoclopramide), Rapither (Artemotil), Tenoric (Chlorthalidone + Atenolol), Lumerax (Artemether + Lumefantrine), Etova (Etodolac), Malirid (Primaquine) and Folitrax (Methotrexate). With operations in over 110 countries across the globe, exports and domestic business account for approximate equal contribution of the company's income.
Forbes, a leading US business magazine, selected Ipca in 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2007 among its top 200 successful, rising companies outside USA, with sales under $1 Billion. Amongst several other Indian companies, only few Indian Pharmaceutical companies featured in the said Forbes list. Ipca happens to be one of them. The company has been awarded as 'Among the 100 Best Companies to Work in India' during the survey conducted for 'India's Best Companies to Work For–2010'. This survey was conducted by Great Places to Work–India in joint collaboration with The Economic Times.
- Tonira – Ankleshwar
- Tonira – Nandesari
APIs – The company manufactures internationally known APIs namely Atenolol (Antihypertensive), Chloroquine Phosphate (Antimalarial), Furosemide (Diuretic) and Pyrantel Salts (Anthelmintic). It is also manufactures a range of drugs Intermediates.
Formulations – The company manufactures over 150 formulations catering in therapeutic and generic segments. This dosage forms are manufactured in tablets, capsules, oral liquids, dry powders for suspension, and injectables (liquid and dry).
1976 – The company started marketing of sugarcoated Chloroquine tablets, first time in India.
- Ipca launched formulations of Metoclopramide under brand name 'Perinorm' for the first time in India.
- Launched 'Ipca Contact', company's in–house Magazine
1980 – Ipca launched formulations of Bromhexine for the first time in India.
1981 – R&D–API and R&D–Formulation development departments set up to provide technology based products.
1982 – First company after Eli Lilly to develop a pre–constituted formulation of Erythromycin Estolate (Eltocin Liquid).
- First API plant commissioned at Ratlam
- Ipca second Formulations manufacturing plant commissioned at Ratlam
- Production of Pyrantel Pamoate API commenced for the first time in India
- Ipca commenced manufacturing of Injectables at the Ratlam formulations unit.
- Ipca first API Plant for manufacturing of Chloroquine Phosphate set up at Ratlam
- Production of API Atenolol, for the first time in India, commenced at Ratlam.
1993 – Acquired Hoechst India's formulations unit at Kandla
- Maiden Public Issue of shares
- Ipca acquired API manufacturing plant from BDH Pharmaceuticals (a subsidiary of E–Merck) at Indore
1995 – Ipca commissioned modern formulations plant at Athal (Silvassa)
1996 – The company commissioned new API R&D Centre at Mumbai
- Launched 3C (Comprehensive Cardiac Care) Domestic Marketing Division, dedicated to promote cardiac care products
- Ipca – Athal, Formulations manufacturing unit received prestigious approval from UK–Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) formerly known as UK– Medicines Control Agency (MCA)
- Ipca – Athal, Ipca – Kandla and Ipca – Ratlam Formulations manufacturing plants received the prestigious approval from MCC (Medicines Control Council) South Africa.
1999 – First to introduce formulation of Hydroxychloroquine Sulphate under brand name 'HCQS' in India
2000 – Received ISO 9001 certification for Ipca Athal formulations Plant
- 'Trishul' the highest award was conferred on Ipca Laboratories Ltd. by CHEMEXIL (Basic Chemicals, Pharmaceuticals & Cosmetics Export Promotion Council) for outstanding export performance
- Launched new domestic marketing division – Innova, to promote speciality products in therapeutic segments of Psychiatry, Neurology and Dermatology
- Ipca acquired 'National Druggists (Pty) Ltd.' in South Africa
- Ipca Pharma Nigeria Ltd.' incorporated in Nigeria.
- Launched new domestic marketing division – Intima, to promote established brands with a focus on micro–interior marketing
- Wholly owned subsidiary 'Laboratories Ipca Do Brasil Ltd.' incorporated in Brazil
- Launched new domestic marketing division – Activa, dedicated to Rheumatology Care. First company in India to have such division for marketing super–speciality molecules
- Launched new domestic marketing division – Hycare, dedicated to Cardio–Diabetology segments
- Wholly owned subsidiary 'Ipca Pharmaceuticals Inc.' incorporated in United States of America
- Wholly owned subsidiary 'Ipca (UK) Ltd.' incorporated in United Kingdom
- Forbes, a leading US business magazine, selected Ipca among its top 200 successful, rising companies outside USA, with sales under $1 billion
- Commissioned new Formulations manufacturing plant at Silvassa
- Ipca Laboratories Ltd. received 'Lifetime Achievement Award' for the year 2002–03 from CHEMEXIL (Basic Chemicals, Pharmaceuticals & Cosmetics Export Promotion Council) for export promotion over the years
- CDRI licenses novel Antimalarial compound to Ipca Ipca – Ratlam, API manufacturing facility inspected by US–FDA and the facility was found to be in compliance with global GMP requirements. The plant and the facilities have been recommended for manufacturing Atenolol, Propranolol Hydrochloride, Hydroxychloroquine Sulphate and Chloroquine Phosphate Forbes Asia, a leading US business magazine selected Ipca, for the second consecutive year as one among the first 200 'Best under a Billion Company' in Asia
- Merger of Innotech Pharma Limited with Ipca in August, 2005
- Ipca acquires cardiac brand Isordil from Wyeth Limited
- Forbes Asia, a leading US business magazine selected Ipca, for the third consecutive year, as one among the first 200 'Best under a Billion Company' in Asia
- Ipca launches Fixed dose ACT combination for treatment of malaria and stops manufacturing of single ingredient Oral Artemisinin derivatives
- Ipca enters into strategic alliance with Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals Inc. for the U.S market
- Ipca new formulations plant at Dehradun commenced operation on 5th May
- January – Ipca – Ranbaxy Alliance receive U.S. FDA marketing approval for Atenolol Tablets
- March – Ipca launched eighth domestic marketing division – Altus which caters to intensivists and surgeons. New Biotech Research & Development Unit was inaugurated at Mumbai.
- June – Ipca – Ranbaxy Alliance receive U.S. FDA marketing approval for Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate (HCQS) Tablets
- July – Ipca – Ranbaxy Alliance receive U.S. FDA marketing approval for Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) Tablets
- August – Ipca – Ranbaxy Alliance receive U.S. FDA marketing approval for Metformin HCl Tablets
- September – Acquisition of 100% shareholding of Formulation Dossier registration holding companies in Australia and New Zealand. The Australian company is currently holding five formulation registration dossiers in that country
- October – Ipca Laboratories Ltd. has been awarded by Forbes Inc., as one of the 'Best under a Billion' Forbes Global's 200 Best Small Companies, 2007. In the past, company has received same award for three consecutive years' 2003, 2004 and 2005
- December – Ipca – Ratlam received 2nd prize in the 'National Energy Conservation Award–2007' in Drug and Pharmaceuticals sector from the Bureau of Energy efficiency under the Ministry of Power, Government of India, New Delhi.
- January – 'Ipca Who' Brochure wins ABCI Gold Award, (Association of Business Communicators of India) 48th annual Awards for Excellence in Creative Business Communications.
- Altus division launches Gardcef, a novel combination of Ceftazidime + Sulbactam.
- February – Tonira Pharma's Nandesari unit (API plant at Baroda) receive US–FDA approval
- March – Ipca – Piparia, Formulations manufacturing unit receive MHRA–UK approval. This is the 3rd plant after Athal and Kandla receiving this approval
- April – WHO prequalify Ipca dossier of Artesunate + Amodiaquine co–blister making Ipca the 2nd company in the world and the 1st Indian company to receive this pre–qualification.
- Ipca – Piparia, Formulations manufacturing unit receive US–FDA approval. Ipca – Ratlam, API manufacturing unit receive US–FDA re–approval.
- May – WHO Geneva re–approved Ipca – Ratlam, API manufacturing unit for the third time.
- Ipca Laboratories Ltd. has been awarded third position in, case–study presentation during the '10th National Suggestion Summit' organized by INSSAN–Northern Indian Chapter (NIC), New Delhi.
- Ipca – Ratlam, API manufacturing unit got approval from Pharmaceutical and Medical Devices Agency (PMDA), Japan
- Ipca completes management acquisition of Tonira Pharma Ltd. through public offer.
- Ipca – Ratlam, Formulations manufacturing unit receive approval from Colombia Invima.
- June – Ipca became the first company to launch formulation brand HCQS (Hydroxy Chloroquine Sulphate) in Kenya after innovator brand.
- June – Ipca Laboratories Ltd., bags D&B – ECGC Indian Exporters Excellence Award – Topmost Exporter of Pharmaceutical Large Sector. Ipca receives approval from US FDA to manufacture Propranolol Hydrochloride Tablets
- July – Clinton Foundation announces New Agreements on Supply of anti–malarial Drugs, inter–alia, with Ipca
- August – Dr. Paul Bacon, Professor Emeritus, University of Birmingham, UK, a world renowned authority in Rheumatoid arthritis addressed leading clinicians in six metro towns in India
- November –'Ipca Contact' wins Silver medal in ABCI's (Association of Business Communicators of India) 48th annual Awards for Excellence in Creative Business Communications
- December – Ipca Laboratories Ltd. – Hycare division wins 'The Best Participation Award' at the conference of CSI (Cardiological Society of India) 2008
- December – Tonira Pharma's API manufacturing plants situated at Ankleshwar and Nandesari receive PMDA–Japan approval.
- January – Study entitled 'Comparative Evaluation of Efficacy and Safety of Cefotaxime–Sulbactam with Amoxicillin–Clavulanic Acid in Children with lower respiratory tract infections' conducted by Clinical Research Department accepted for poster symposium by 2nd Congress of the European Academy of Pediatrics, held at Nice, France.
- The first preclinical study conducted by Clinical Research Department entitled 'In Vivo Antimalarial Activity of Oral Beta–Arteether and Piperaquine Combination' published in Italian Journal 'Pharmacology Online'.
- Clinical trial conducted by Clinical Research Department of Ipca entitled 'Comparative Evaluation of Efficacy and Safety of Cefotaxime–Sulbactam with Amoxicillin–Clavulanic
- Acid in Children with lower respiratory tract infections' published in 'Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy'.
- Ipca's Green Technology Department, published first research paper on 'Optimization of extract conditions and HPTLC–UV method of determination of quinine in different extracts of Cinchona spp. bark' in an international peer–reviewed Journal 'Records of Natural Products'. Green Technology Department is working on production of phytopharmaceuticals like, Artemisinin and Quinine sulphate. This department is also involved in contract farming of Artemisia annua.
- European patent office has issued patent rights to Ipca for its method of making Carvedilol with patent number EP1741700.
- United States patent office has issued patent rights to Ipca for its method of making Tramadol with patent number US7470816.
- March – European Patent office has issued patent rights to Ipca for its method of making Alendronic acid with patent number EP1803727.
- April – Clinical trial entitled 'A randomized, multicentric, comparative evaluation of aceclofenac–paracetamol combination with aceclofenac alone in Indian patients with osteoarthritis flare–up' has been published in 'Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy' journal in UK.
- July – A randomized, comparative, multicentric evaluation of atenolol/amlodipine combination with atenolol alone in essential hypertensive patients was published in 'American Journal of Therapeutics' Philadelphia.
- Aceclofenac–tizanidine in the treatment of acute low back pain: a doubleblind, double–dummy, randomized, multicentric, comparative study against aceclofenac alone was published in 'European Spine Journal', Switzerland.
- A randomized, comparative study evaluating the efficacy and tolerability of losartan–low dose chlorthalidone (6.25 mg) combination with Losartan hydrochlorothiazide (12.5 mg) combination in Indian patients with mild–to–moderate essential hypertension was published in 'Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy' UK.
- United States patent office has issued patent rights to Ipca for its method of making Ondansetron with patent number US7547791.
- September – WHO/MMV organized 4th Antimalarial conference first time in India with Ipca as the primary partner.
- October – Ipca Laboratories Ltd. received Pharmexcil 'Gold Patent award' for the year 2008–2009. Ipca Laboratories Ltd. bagged this award in recognition of commendable contribution in the field of API. Pharmexcil is setup by Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Govt. of India.
- Clinical study entitled 'Antihypertensive Efficacy of Metoprolol XL/Low Dose Chlorthalidone Combination: A Randomized, Comparative study in Indian patients with mild–to–moderate Essential Hypertension' published in European Journal of Medical Research.
- November – Ipca – Ratlam celebrates Silver Jubilee of its existence.
- December – United States patent office has issued patent rights to Ipca for its method of making Methylphenidate with patent number US7459467.
- IDMA's Quality Excellence Award 2009 – Silver Medal honored to Ipca – Dehradun plant.
- Ipca – Dehradun formulations plant, received award for 'Energy Conservation' from Uttrakhand Renewable Energy Development Agency (UREDA) on the occasion of National Energy Conservation Day.
- January – Clinical study entitled 'Efficacy and Tolerability of a Fixed–Dose Combination of Metoprolol Extended Release/Amlodipine in Patients with mild–to–moderate Hypertension' published in Clinical Drug Investigation; an Adis publication.
- The 'Clinical Drug Investigation' is an international peer–reviewed journal publishing original findings of the world's leading drug research.
- February – New CRAMS division – Covenance, launched, which caters to the outsourcing needs of the pharma companies
- March – New domestic Division, 'Ipca Nephrosciences' launched, which caters to Nephrologists and deals with kidney transplant and dialysis patients.
- Ipca launches another domestic cardio–diabetic marketing division '3D'.
- June – Ipca Laboratories Ltd., among the 100 Best Companies to work in India. The survey was conducted throughout India jointly by The Great Place to Work® Institute, India and The Economic Times across various organizations as a part of the 'India's Best Companies to Work For– 2010'. Study results were published in The Economic Times dated 20th June, 2010.
- Clinical study entitled 'Efficacy and safety of Aceclofenac and Drotaverine fixed–dose combination in the treatment of primary dysmenorrhoea: a double–blind, double–dummy, randomized, comparative study with Aceclofenac' is published in European Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology and Reproductive Biology. It is the leading clinical journal which provides a forum for scientific and clinical professional communication in obstetrics and gynaecology throughout the world.
- Clinical study entitled 'Evaluation of Efficincy and Tolarability of Gliclazide and Metformin Combination : A Multicentric Study in Patients with Type–2 Diabetes Mellitus, Uncontrolled on Monotherapy with Sulfonylurea or Metformin' is published in American Journal of Therapeutics.
- July – Ipca – Aurangabad API manufacturing plant assessed by AFAQ–EAQA as complies with the Occupational Health & Safety Management System requirements of OHSAS 18001:2007.
- AFNOR (Certification) certifies that the management system implemented by Ipca – Aurangabad, API manufacturing plant for manufacturing and supply of Bulk Drugs (Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients) has been assessed and found to meet the requirements of ISO 14001:2004.
- Seventh Clinical Trial in Pain Management published in 'The Clinical Journal of Pain – official journal of eastern pain association' The Clinical Journal of Pain is a peer–reviewed journal that explores all aspects of pain and its effective treatment, bringing readers the insights of leading anaesthesiologists, surgeons, internists, neurologists, orthopaedists, psychiatrists and psychologists, clinical pharmacologists and rehabilitation medicine specialists.
- August – United States Patent office has issued patent rights to Ipca for its novel process for manufacturing of API Isotretinoin. This is the Nineth patent granted by United States Patent office on API to Ipca.
- September – Ipca Laboratories Ltd. received Pharmexcil Gold Patent award for the year 2009–2010, for the second consecutive year. This award was in recognition of commendable contribution in the field of API. The award was given for overall group of granted patents in API category during the year 2009–10.
- Mint newspaper published 500 Best Performing midsize firms compiled by Inc. magazine and Ipca ranks at 51st position.
- October – Ipca joins hands with BMC (Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation) to fight against Malaria. BMC decided to release a film on 'Malaria & its Prevention'. Ipca was called to partner with them due to our long standing credibility and expertise in this field.
- November – 'Ipca Contact', in–house quarterly magazine wins 'Bronze' medal in Headline Category in ABCI 50th Awards Nite.
- December – Ipca – Ratlam formulations plant ranked third position in the National Energy Conservation Award 2010.
- Ipca – Dehradun formulation plant at Dehradun receives 'Uttarakhand Energy Conservation Award 2010'. Ipca – Dehradun plant stood first in entire State of Uttarakhand.
- Launched, Laxtaz the new age laxative that combines Ispaghula with Lactitol.
- Launched CTD (Chlorthalidone), a novel antihypertensive which has the longest half life and is more effective than Amlodipine and Lisinopril.
- Launched new division Ipca–Dynamix, which will cater to cardiovascular, gastrointestinal, antibacterial, respiratory segments.
- Launched Rapiclav®1g in West African countries of Ivory Coast, Mali, Senegal, Burkina Faso, Benin & Nigeria.
- Ipca received 'Corporate Citizen Award' for best corporate governance practice.