NSE Symbol: | BSE Code: | ISIN: | Sector:
- Add to Portfolio
- Add to Watchlist
- Add to Alert
The HDFC Bank was incorporated on August 1994 by the name of 'HDFC Bank Limited', with its registered office in Mumbai, India. HDFC Bank commenced operations as a Scheduled Commercial Bank in January 1995. The Housing Development Finance Corporation (HDFC) was amongst the first to receive an 'in principle' approval from the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to set up a bank in the private sector, as part of the RBI's liberalization of the Indian Banking Industry in 1994.
HDFC Bank is headquartered in Mumbai. The Bank at present has an enviable network of over 1416 branches spread over 550 cities across India. All branches are linked on an online real–time basis. Customers in over 500 locations are also serviced through Telephone Banking. The Bank also has a network of about over 3382 networked ATMs across these cities.
The promoter of the company HDFC was incepted in 1977 is India's premier housing finance company and enjoys an impeccable track record in India as well as in international markets. HDFC has developed significant expertise in retail mortgage loans to different market segments and also has a large corporate client base for its housing related credit facilities. With its experience in the financial markets, a strong market reputation, large shareholder base and unique consumer franchise, HDFC was ideally positioned to promote a bank in the Indian environment.
The shares are listed on the Bombay Stock Exchange Limited and The National Stock Exchange of India Limited. The Bank's American Depository Shares ( ADS ) are listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the symbol 'HDB' and the Bank's Global Depository Receipts (GDRs) are listed on Luxembourg Stock Exchange.
On May 23, 2008, the amalgamation of Centurion Bank of Punjab with HDFC Bank was formally approved by Reserve Bank of India to complete the statutory and regulatory approval process. As per the scheme of amalgamation, shareholders of CBoP received 1 share of HDFC Bank for every 29 shares of CBoP.
The merged entity now holds a strong deposit base of around Rs. 1,22,000 crore and net advances of around Rs. 89,000 crore. The balance sheet size of the combined entity would be over Rs. 1,63,000 crore. The amalgamation added significant value to HDFC Bank in terms of increased branch network, geographic reach, and customer base, and a bigger pool of skilled manpower.
In a milestone transaction in the Indian banking industry, Times Bank Limited (another new private sector bank promoted by Bennett, Coleman & Co. / Times Group) was merged with HDFC Bank Ltd., effective February 26, 2000. This was the first merger of two private banks in the New Generation Private Sector Banks. As per the scheme of amalgamation approved by the shareholders of both banks and the Reserve Bank of India, shareholders of Times Bank received 1 share of HDFC Bank for every 5.75 shares of Times Bank.
HDFC Bank offers a wide range of commercial and transactional banking services and treasury products to wholesale and retail customers. The bank has three key business segments:
Wholesale Banking Services – The Bank's target market ranges from large, blue–chip manufacturing companies in the Indian corporate to small & mid–sized corporates and agri–based businesses.
Retail Banking Services – The objective of the Retail Bank is to provide its target market customers a full range of financial products and banking services, giving the customer a one–stop window for all his/her banking requirements.
Treasury – Within this business, the bank has three main product areas – Foreign Exchange and Derivatives, Local Currency Money Market & Debt Securities, and Equities. The Treasury business is responsible for managing the returns and market risk on this investment portfolio.
HDFC Securities (HSL) and HDB Financial Services (HDBFSL) are its subsidiaries.
Services offered by the company:
- Accounts & Deposits
- Investments & Insurance
- Accounts & Deposits
- Investments & Insurance Loans Payment Services
- Small & Medium Enterprises
- Financial Institutions & Trusts
- Government Sector
HDFC Bank was the first bank in India to launch an International Debit Card in association with VISA (VISA Electron) and issues the Mastercard Maestro debit card as well.
IBA Banking Technology Awards 2012–13 – Best Technology Bank of the year – Winner
– Best Internet Bank – Winner
– Best Customer Management Initiative – Winner
– Best use of Mobility Technology in Banking
Business Standard Mr Aditya Puri – Banker of the Year 2013
Business Today–KPMG Best Banks Survey 2013 Best Bank 2013
Business India Best Bank 2013
Global Finance Survey –World's Best Banks 2013 Best Bank in India
Outlook Money Awards 2013 Best Bank in Large Banks Category
IBA Innovation Awards Most Innovative use of Technology
Dun & Bradstreet Polaris Financial Technology Banking Award 2013 – Best Private Sector Bank Technology Adoption
– Best Private Sector Bank Retail
– Overall Best Private Sector Bank
Institutional Investor – Best Bank in Asia
– Mr. Aditya Puri – Best CEO
Forbes Asia Fab 50 Companies List for the 7th year
Sunday Standard Best Banker Awards – Best Private Sector Bank: Large
– Safest Bank: Large
– Mr. Aditya Puri: Top Achiever
UTI Mutual Fund CNBC TV 18 Financial Advisory Awards 2012 Best Performing Bank – Private
Asia Money 2013 – Best Domestic Bank in India
– Mr. Aditya Puri: Best Executive in India
MACCIA Awards 2013 Best in Financial Services: Bank Category
Dun & Bradstreet Corporate Awards 2012 Best in Banking sector
NDTV Profit Business Leadership Awards 2012 Winner in the banking category
NASSCOM CNBC?TV18 IT Innovation Award Best IT Driven Innovation in Banking (COMMERCIAL)
The National Quality Excellence Awards Best Customer Service Result
FE Best Bank Awards – Best Bank: New Private sector
– Best in Strength & Soundness
– Mr. Aditya Puri: Best Banker
Skoch Financial Inclusion Awards 2013 Organisation of the Year
- Financial Express Best Bank Survey 2010–11 – Best in Strength and Soundness and 2nd Best in the Private Sector
- CNBC TV18's Best Bank & Financial Institution Awards – Best Bank and Mr. Aditya Puri, for outstanding finance professional
- Dun & Bradstreet Banking Awards 2011 – Best private sector bank – SME Financing
- ISACA 2011 award for IT Governance – Best practices in IT Governance and IT Security
- IBA Productivity Excellence Awards 2011 – New Channel Adopter (Private Sector)
- DSCI (Data Security Council of India) Excellence Awards 2011 – Security in bank
- FINANCE ASIA Country Awards 2011: India – Best bank, best cash management bank and best trade finance bank
- Asian Banker – Strongest bank in Asia Pacific
- Bloomberg UTV's Financial Leadership Awards 2011 – Best bank
- IBA Banking Technology Awards 2010 – Technology bank of the year, best online bank, best customer initiative, best use of business intelligence, best risk management system and runners up – best financial inclusion
- IDC FIIA Awards 2011 – Excellence in customer experience
- Outlook Money 2010 Awards – Best Bank
- Businessworld Best Bank Awards 2010 – Best Bank (Large)
- Teacher's Achievement Awards 2010 (Business) – Mr. Aditya Puri
- The Banker and PWM 2010 Global Private Banking Awards – Best Private Bank in India
- Economic Times Awards for Corporate Excellence 2010 – Business Leader of the Year – Mr. Aditya Puri
- Forbes Asia – Fab 50 Companies – 5th year in a row
- NDTV Business Leadership Awards 2010 – Best private sector bank
- The Banker Magazine – World's Top 1,000 Banks
- MIS Asia IT Excellence Award 2010 – BEST BOTTOM–LINE I.T. Category
- Dun & Bradstreet Banking Awards 2010 – Overall best bank, Best private sector bank, Best private sector bank in SME Financing
- Institutional Investor Magazine Poll – HDFC Bank MD, Mr. Aditya Puri among ?Asian Captains of Finance 2010?
- IDRBT Technology 2009 Awards – IT Infrastructure, Use of IT within the Bank and Runners–up – IT Governance (Large Banks)
- ACI Excellence Awards 2010 – Highly Commended – Asia Pacific HDFC Bank
- FE–EVI Green Business Leadership Award – Best performer in the banking category
- Celent's 2010 Banking Innovation Award – Model bank Award
- Avaya Global Connect 2010 – Customer Responsiveness Award – Banking & Financial Services category
- Forbes Top 2000 Companies – HDFC Bank at 632nd position and among 130 global high performers
- Financial Express – Ernst & Young Survey 2009–10 – Best new private sector bank, Best in growth and Best in strength
- Asian Banker Excellence Awards 2010 – Best retail bank in India, Excellence in automobile lending, Best M&A integration and technology implementation
- The Asset Triple A Awards – Best cash management bank in India
- Euromoney Private Banking and Wealth Management Poll 2010 – Best local bank in India (second year in a row), Best private banking services overall (moved up from No. 2 last year)
- Financial Insights Innovation Awards 2010 – Innovation in branch operations – server consolidation project
- Global Finance Award – Best trade finance provider in India for 2010
- 2 Banking Technology Awards 2009 – Best risk management initiative and Best use of business intelligence
- SPJIMR Marketing Impact Awards (SMIA) 2010
- Business Today Best Employer Survey – Listed in top 10 best employers in the country
- Business Standard Best Banker Award – Mr. Aditya Puri, MD, HDFC Bank
- Fe Best Bank Awards 2009 – Best Innovator of the year award for its MD Mr. Aditya Puri – Second Best Private Bank in India – Best in Strength and Soundness Award
- Euromoney Awards 2009 – 'Best Bank in India'
- Economic Times Brand Equity & Nielsen Research annual survey 2009 – Most Trusted Brand – Runner Up
- Asia Money 2009 Awards – 'Best Domestic Bank in India'
- IBA Banking Technology Awards 2009 – 'Best IT Governance Award – Runner up'
- Global Finance Award – 'Best Trade Finance Bank in India for 2009
- IDRBT Banking Technology Excellence Award 2008 – 'Best IT Governance and Value Delivery'
- Asian Banker Excellence in Retail Financial Services – 'Asian Banker Best Retail Bank in India Award 2009 '
- Finance Asia Country Awards for Achievement 2008 – 'Best Bank and Best Cash Management Bank'
- CNN–IBN – 'Indian of the Year (Business)'
- Nasscom IT User Award 2008 – 'Best IT Adoption in the Banking Sector'
- Business India – 'Best Bank 2008'
- Forbes Asia – Fab 50 companies in Asia Pacific
- Asian Banker Excellence in Retail Financial Services – Best Retail Bank 2008
- Asiamoney – Best local Cash Management Bank Award voted by Corporates
- Microsoft & Indian Express Group – Security Strategist Award 2008
- World Trade Center Award of honour – For outstanding contribution to international trade services.
- Business Today–Monitor Group survey – One of India's 'Most Innovative Companies'
- Financial Express–Ernst & Young Award – Best Bank Award in the Private Sector category
- Global HR Excellence Awards – Asia Pacific HRM Congress: – 'Employer Brand of the Year 2007 –2008' Award – First Runner up, & many more
- Business Today – 'Best Bank' Award
- Dun & Bradstreet ? American Express Corporate Best Bank Award 2007 – 'Corporate Best Bank' Award
- The Bombay Stock Exchange and Nasscom Foundation's Business for Social Responsibility Awards 2007 – 'Best Corporate Social Responsibility Practice' Award
- Outlook Money & NDTV Profit – Best Bank Award in the Private sector category.
- The Asian Banker Excellence in Retail Financial Services Awards – Best Retail Bank in India
- Asian Banker – Its Managing Director Aditya Puri wins the Leadership Achievement Award for India