NSE Symbol: | BSE Code: | ISIN: | Sector:
- Add to Portfolio
- Add to Watchlist
- Add to Alert
GAIL (India) established on 16th August, 1984 was erstwhile known as Gas Authority of India Limited. It was incorporated with an objective to create gas sector infrastructure for sustained development of the natural gas sector in the country.
It is India's flagship natural gas company integrating all aspects of the natural gas value chain including exploration and production, processing, transmission, distribution and marketing and related services.
The 2800-km Hazira-Vijaipur-Jagdishpur (HVJ) pipeline became operational in 1991. During 1991-93, three LPG plants were constructed and some regional pipelines were acquired, enabling GAIL to begin its regional gas distribution in various parts of India.
The company began its city gas distribution in Delhi in 1997 by setting up nine CNG stations, catering to the city's vast public transport fleet. In 1999, GAIL set up northern India's only petrochemical plant at Pata.
GAIL became the first Infrastructure Provider Category II Licensee and signed the country's first Service Level Agreement for leasing bandwidth in the Delhi-Vijaipur sector in 2001, through its telecom business GAILTEL. In 2001, GAIL commissioned world's longest and India's first cross country LPG Transmission Pipeline from Jamnagar to Loni.
The company today has reached new milestones with its strategic diversification into petrochemicals, telecom and liquid hydrocarbons, besides gas infrastructure. It has also extended its presence in power, liquefied natural gas re-gasification, city gas distribution and exploration and production through equity and joint ventures participations. Incorporating the new-found energy into its corporate identity, Gas Authority of India was renamed GAIL (India) Limited on November 22, 2002.
GAIL is also expanding its business to become a player in the international market. In a rapidly changing scenario, company is spearheading the move to a new era of clean fuel industrialisation, creating a quadrilateral of green energy corridors that connect major consumption centres in India with major gas fields, LNG terminals and other cross border gas sourcing points.
- 1987 HVJ (Hazira ? Vijaipur ? Jagdishpur) Natural Gas pipeline commissioned
- 1989 First Year of profit registered
- 1990 LPG Plant Phase ? I at Vijaipur commissioned
- 1992 Gas Marketing functions transferred to GAIL
- 1993 Maiden dividend of Rs. 20 Crores paid to its shareholders
- 1994 First JV Mahanagar Gas Limited formed with British Gas incorporated to implement Mumbai City Gas Distribution project
- 1995 Propane recovery plants at Vijaipur commissioned
- 1996 GAIL listed in NSE, BSE and DSE
- 1997 Government of India granted Navratna status to GAIL
- 1998 Indraprastha Gas Limited (IGL) incorporated for supply of gas to household sector, transport sector & commercial consumers in Delhi.
- 1999 LPG plants at Usar and Lakwa commissioned
- 1999 Uttar Pradesh Petrochemical Complex (UPPC) at Pata commissioned with a design capacity of 3 lacs TPA of Ethylene to produce 2. 60 lacs TPA of HDPE & LLDPE.
- 2000 LPG plant at Pata with a design capacity of 2.58 lacs TPA of LPG commissioned
- 2000 Participated in under NELP- I and 2 blocks awarded
- 2001 Jamnagar-Loni LPG Pipeline Project, world?s longest and India's first Cross-Country LPG 1269 km long pipeline commissioned
- 2001 LPG plant at Gandhar commissioned
- 2002 GAIL picks up 12% equity stake in GSEGs 156MW power project in Gujarat
- 2003 GAIL has an initial success in the form of significant gas find in the block A-1 in Myanmar and discovery of Oil and Gas in the Cambay Block.
- 2003 Bhagyanagar Gas Limited, a joint venture of GAIL and HPCL, incorporated in August 2003, in the field of distribution and marketing of Auto LPG, CNG for vehicles and retailing of natural gas in cities of Andhra Pradesh.
- 2003 Vizag- Secunderabad LPG pipeline, the 580 km pipeline with a maximum throughput of 1.16 MMPTPA completed
- 2003 GAIL successfully secures participation in 2 retail gas companies in Egypt, Fayum Gas Company and Shell CNG.
- 2004 Dahej - Vijaipur natural gas pipeline commissioned
- 2004 A wholly-owned subsidiary company GAIL Global (Singapore) Pte Ltd formed in Singapore
- 2004 Platts declares GAIL as the first among Global Gas Utilities based on Return on Invested Capital (ROIC) in its worldwide survey of Top 250 Energy Companies in 2004.
- 2004 Tripura Natural Gas Co. Ltd., a Joint Venture for city gas project in Tripura and UP Central Gas Ltd., a Joint Venture for city gas project with BPCL in Kanpur, incorporated
- 2004 GAIL acquired 15% equity stake in NatGas, Egypt
- 2005 Inauguration of the National Gas Management Centre (NGMC) of GAIL at NOIDA
- 2006 GAIL brings India?s first spot LNG cargo at Dahej
- 2006 GAIL consortium wins 3 CBM blocks in III round of bidding
- 2007 MoP&NG authorization for 5 new major pipelines received
- 2007 Brahmaputra Cracker and Polymer Limited, a Joint Venture Company led by GAIL, formed for implementing Assam Gas Cracker Project
- 2007 GAIL forms a Joint Venture Company (JVC) with China Gas Global Energy Holdings Limited.
- 2007 Expansion of Petrochemical Plant at Pata for increasing capacity from 310,000 TPA LLDPE/HDPE to 410,000 TPA completed
- 2008 Dahej - Panvel- Dabhol pipeline commissioned
- 2008 GAIL Gas Limited incorporated for CGD
- 2008 GAIL Gas limited wins the rights for rolling out city gas distribution projects in Meerut, Sonepat, Dewas and Kota.
- 2009 GAIL gets SCOPE Meritorious Award for Corporate Governance for the year 2007-08.
- 2010 Representative Office in Egypt opened
- 2010 GAIL ranked no.1 company among gas utilities in Asia in the Platts Global Ranking.
- 2011 Shri S. Jaipal Reddy dedicated GAIL?s Chainsa - Sultanpur ? Neemrana pipeline to the Nation
- 2011 GAIL Gas Limited and Vadodara Mahanagar Sewa Sadan set up Joint Venture for City Gas Distribution
- 2011 GAIL (India) Limited was conferred the 'Managing India Award' for the 'Outstanding PSU of the Year' by All India Management Association. GAIL is the first PSU to be conferred this award.
- GAIL conferred MoU Excellence Award for the year 2009-10 for Best Performing CPSE in the Petroleum Sector consecutively for second year
- GAIL has been ranked World?s No. 1 in Downstream Operations in Platts Global Energy Awards
- GAIL?s 2200 km Dahej-Vijaipur-Dadri-Bawana-Nangal-Bhatinda cross-country pipeline inaugurated by Prime Minister
- GSPA signed between GAIL and TurkrnenGaz for Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India (TAPI) Gas Pipeline Project
GAIL's Business Portfolio includes:
- 7,847 km of natural gas high pressure trunk pipeline with a capacity to carry 148 MMSCMD of natural gas across the country.
- 7 LPG gas processing units to produce 1.2 MMTPA of LPG and other liquid hydrocarbons.
- North India's only gas based integrated petrochemical complex at Pata with a capacity of producing 4,10,000 TPA of ploymers.
- 1,922 km of LPG transmission pipeline network with a capacity to transport 3.8 MMTPA of LPG.
- 27 oil and gas exploration blocks and 3 coal bed methane blocks.
- 13,000 km of OFC network offering highly dependable bandwith for telecom service providers.
- Joint venture companies in Delhi, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Kanpur, Agra, Lucknow, Bhopal, Agartala and Pune, for supplying Piped Natural Gas (PNG) to households and commercial users, and Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) to the transport sector.
- Participating stake in the Dahej LNG Terminal and the upcoming Kochi LNG Terminal in Kerala.
- GAIL has been entrusted with the responsibility of reviving the LNG terminal at Dabhol as well as sourcing LNG.
- The company has established presence in the CNG and City Gas sectors in Egypt through equity participation in three Egyptian companies namely Fayum Gas Company SAE, Shell CNG SAE and National Gas Company SAE.
- It has a stake in China Gas Holding in order to explore opportunities in the CNG sector in mainland China.
- A wholly-owned subsidiary company GAIL Global (Singapore) Pte in Singapore
- Achievement of 100% Safety Index @ GPU-Gandhar(2010-11) was duly recognized by BSC, UK. GPU-Gandhar was conferred 'International Safety Award' for 4th time from
- GAIL (India) has been ranked no.1 company among gas utilities in Asia in the Platts Global Ranking of Energy Companies.
- GAIL (India) was conferred 'MOU EXCELLENCE AWARD' by the Department Of Public Enterprises for the year 2008-09 in the petroleum sector.
- GAIL (India) was conferred a Certificate of Recognition for Excellence in Corporate Governance in the 10th ICSI National Award for Excellence in Corporate Governance 2010 as one of the Top Companies adopting Excellent Practices in Corporate Governance.
- National Award for Excellence in Cost Management 2009 GAIL won the Third Award in the public sector Manufacturing (Large) category
- SCOPE Meritorious Award to GAIL (India) Limited for Corporate Governance for the year 2007-08.
- India�s Most Customer Responsive Company in Manufacturing sector
- Highest Wealth Creator in Manufacturing sector
- Rajiv Gandhi National Quality Award as the best performer among the Large Scale Manufacturing Industry
- The PetroFed oil & Gas pipeline Transportation - Company of the Year for 2007-2008 Award honours the leading performance in transporting crude oil, petroleum products and natural gas through pipelines in India during the year. This award honours GAIL (India) Limited for their leading performance towards growth of infrastructure, optimal utilisation during hydrocarbons transportation in India in 2007-08 while meeting the norms of health, safety and environment protection.