NSE Symbol: | BSE Code: | ISIN: | Sector:
- Add to Portfolio
- Add to Watchlist
- Add to Alert
Birla Corporation (BCL), a flagship company of M P Birla Group, operates four division cement, jute, vinoleum and auto trim division. It was incorporated in 1919 by Madhav Prasadji as Birla Jute Manufacturing Company. Later its steadily grew in a multiproduct corporation. The Company crossed the Rs. 1300 – crore turnover mark and the name was changed to Birla Corporation in 1998.
The MP Birla group owns 500 factories in industry segments like textiles, man–made fibres, cables, woollens, automobiles, industrial and textiles machines, sugar, paper, shipping, cement, jute, aluminium, copper, fertilizers, chemicals, power plants, non–ferrous semis, etc. It has eight manufacturing facilities located in Pune, Rajasthan, West Bengal, Gurgoan, Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh.
The subsidiaries of the company are Birla Jute Supply Company, Lok Cements, Talavadi Cements, Budge Budge Floorcoverings, Thiruvaiyaru Industries, Birla Cement (Assam), Birla North East Cement, New–Age Cement and M.P. Birla Group Services.
In January 2011, Birla Corporation had inked a memorandum of understanding with Government of Assam at Guwahati to set up one–million ton greenfield cement plant at Umrangsu at the North Cachar Hills district, Assam. The company would be setting up the greenfield cement plant at Umrangsu for a cost of Rs 450 crore through a Joint Venture (JV) company.
Cement Division ? BCL manufactures ordinary portland cement of 43 and 53 grades, fly ash– based portland pozzolana cement portland slag cement and sulphate resistant cement. It has installed capacity of 5.8 million tonnes.
Jute Division– It manufactures jute fibre that is eco–friendly and bio degradable. It has an installed capacity of 38000 million tonnes. It manufactures wide range of jute such as jute yarn, jute carpets, canvas, sacking bags, decorative fabrics, etc.
Vinoleum division– It has a production capacity of 48,60,000 sq mtrs of cushion vinyl flooring and PVC Sheet.
Auto Trim Division– It manufactures door trims for automobile industry. It has clients like Maruti Udyog, Mahindra & Mahindra, General Motors, Hindustan Motors and Tata Motors, among others.
Entrepreneurship: Birla Corporation is the flagship company of the M.P Birla Group of Companies. The M.P Birla Group includes highly reputed companies like Universal Cables (power, control and electrical cables and capacitors), Vindhya Telelinks (telecommunication cables), Birla Ericsson Optical (optical fibre and jelly–filled telephone cables), and Hindustan Gum & Chemicals (guar gum products). Other than Kolkata, Birlapur and Durgapur, the Group's plants are located at Rewa, Satna, Raebareli, Chanderia, Jodhpur, Viramgam, Bhiwani, Gurgaon and Chakan (Pune).
Joint Ventures: The Group has successful joint ventures and collaborations with world leaders like Rhone Poulenc of France, Ericsson Cables & AB of Sweden, GE of the USA Toshiba of Japan and AEI Cables of UK. Universal CablesA leader in the Indian Cables Industry with the widest product range and its cables and capacitors are known by the brand name 'UNISTAR'
Vindhya TelelinksOne of the most sophisticated and technologically advanced industrial complexes, manufacturers, Jelly filled Telephone Cables in technical collaboration with M/s. Ericsson Cables AB of Sweden
Birla Ericsson OpticalHas technical and financial collaboration with Ericsson Cables AB of Sweden to produce Optical Fibre Cables, consisting of different fibre counts of both, Duct & Direct Burial types. The company also produces Polyurethane Jelly filled insulated Cables.
Hindustan Gum & ChemicalsManufactures guar gum conforming to international standards and exports to various countries the world over. Rhone–Poulenc Inc. of France has 50% financial stake in the company. The company has three plants in India.
- Its cement plant located at Rajasthan has received ISO 9001:2000 certification for quality management system and ISO 140001 certification for environment management.It received Lal Bahadur Shastri Memorial National Awards for excellent pollution control implementation.
- Birla Corporation received the Best Corporate Ethics Award for 2008 from the Indian Institute of Planning and Management.
- Birla Corporation has made it to the prestigious list of '200 Best Under a Billion $' companies in the Asia–Pacific region, published by Forbes Asia, in its October 9, 2009 issue.
- Birla Corporation has regularly been receiving CAPEXIL awards for cement exports since the last more than 15 years.
- 2013–14 – Birla Corporation Limited has been ranked 6th among India's ''Most Admired Companies'' in the Cement Sector by Fortune India, the eminent business magazine. The ranking of the Company has gone up to 6th in 2013 from 8th in 2012. This is Fortune India's second survey of India's ''Most Admired Companies''. '