NSE Symbol: | BSE Code: | ISIN: | Sector:
- Add to Portfolio
- Add to Watchlist
- Add to Alert
Biocon, Asia’s largest biotechnology company, started itself with seed capital of Rs.10, 000 in 1978, is now a billion dollar company. The company manufactures biotechnological products catering to the healthcare segment. It is engages itself in all phases of the product cycle from discovering to development & then commercializing the same drugs. This pharmaceutical company has fermentation–based technology, creating cost effective drugs. Syngene and Clinigene, subsidiaries of Biocon conduct R& D programs for international pharmaceutical and biotechnology majors.
Biocon produces anti diabetic agents like Acarbose, Pioglitazone, Repaglinides & Rosiglitazone. In the biological segment it produces Insulin, Erythropoietin (EPO), Filgrastim (GCSF), Streptokinase & Monoclonal Antibodies. The drug major produces mycophenolate mofetil, sirolimus and tacrolimus. It also produces & market mix of specialty & industrial enzymes for industries like paper, brewing, beverages, food, brewing, textiles & distilling. The company’s drug portfolio consists of lovastatin, simvastatin, pravastatin and atorvastatin.
Business of the Company:
Biocon’s fully integrated business model spans the entire drug value chain, from pre–clinical discovery to clinical development and through to commercialisation. Its businesses in custom research (Syngene), clinical development (Clinigene) and biopharmaceuticals (Biocon) provide multiple revenue streams to balance risk, drive innovation, deliver products and accelerate growth. As the company increases the complexity and scope of its own R&D and manufacturing operations, especially in new product discovery and development, it believes that the custom and clinical research services will continue to offer important synergies.
Syngene: Pre–Clinical Discovery
Biocon’s custom research organisation, Syngene, offers modular and integrated services in small and large molecule discovery and development. Offering meticulous IPR protection, we provide customised solutions to pharmaceutical, biotechnology, chemical, and agrochemical industries in the areas of chemistry, biology, process development and scale–up, formulation and analytical development, preclinical services, and GMP manufacturing for clinical supplies.
Clinigene: Clinical Research
Clinigene International Limited., a full–service Clinical Research Organization, is an innovative provider of world–class clinical research solutions to global pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies. With state–of–the–art infrastructure and highly experienced clinical research professionals, Clinigene’s services span a broad spectrum of drug development activities including human pharmacology, bioanalytical research laboratory for small and large molecules, central laboratory, clinical operations, medical writing, medical monitoring, safety management & pharmacovigilance, clinical data management & biostatistics and regulatory services supporting early through late phase clinical development programs across a wide range of therapeutic areas.
Biocon has an impressive track record of commercialisation capabilities. The company has brought to market a considerable portfolio of biopharmaceuticals, led by the blockbuster Statins. The commercialization of Insulin, Immunossuppressants and a range of Biogenerics demonstrates company’s highly advanced process development and manufacturing expertise. Under rapid progress are two challenging collaborative projects for the development of novel medicine, including Oral Insulin and T1h. Biocon also markets a basket of branded formulations in India, among them INSUGEN, BIOMAb EGFR and EPO.
Biocon is India India’s first biotechnology company set up in 1978
It became first company to export microbial enzymes to the US & Europe
Biocon is the first Indian company to be approved by USFDA for the manufacture of lovastatin, a cholesterol–lowering molecule
Biocon is the first biotechnology company to receive ISO 9001 certification in India
Syngene, a Biocon subsidiary, is India's first custom research company in drug discovery
Biocon was awarded the Biotech Product and Process Development and Commercialisation Award in 2001 by the Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India
Syngene was awarded the Certificate of Excellence for Export Achievement by the Government of India, for two consecutive years 2002–2003
Biocon launches BIOMAb EGFR – India's first anti–cancer, therapeutic Monoclonal Antibody–based drug for treating solid tumours of epithelial origin, such as head & neck cancers, 2006
Being premier in biotechnological segment, Company is having a consistent performance in revenue & profit. Revenue for company comes from major three segments i.e. Bio Pharmaceuticals, enzymes, research & technical licensing fees. Looking at year to year performance the company is giving consistent profit on an average of 13%.
History of the Company:
November 29, 1978: Biocon’s Founding Day – the start of a biorevolution in India. Over the years, Biocon has evolved from an enzyme–manufacturing company into a fully integrated biopharmaceutical enterprise. Today, we leverage a formidable combination of proprietary fermentation technologies and research skills to develop affordable therapy for unmet medical needs
Biocon India is incorporated as a joint venture between Biocon Biochemicals Ltd. of Ireland and an Indian entrepreneur, Kiran Mazumdar–Shaw
1979: Biocon is the first Indian company to manufacture and export enzymes to USA and Europe
1989 : Unilever plc. acquires Biocon Biochemicals Ltd. in Ireland and merges it with its subsidiary, Quest International
Biocon is the first Indian biotech company to receive US funding for proprietary technologies
1990: Biocon scales up its in–house research programme, based on a proprietary solid substrate fermentation technology, from pilot to plant level
1993 : Biocon's R&D and manufacturing facilities receive ISO 9001 certification from RWTUV, Germany
1994: Biocon establishes Syngene International Pvt. Ltd. as a Custom research Company (CRC) to address the growing need for outsourced R&D in the pharmaceutical sector
1996: The commercial success of Biocon's proprietary fermentation plant leads to a 3–fold expansion
Biocon leverages its technology platform to enter biopharmaceuticals and statins
1997: Biocon spearheads initiatives in human healthcare through a dedicated manufacturing facility
1998: Unilever inks a deal with ICI to sell its specialty chemicals division of which Quest International is a part. Unilever agrees to sell its shareholding in Biocon to the Indian promoters. Biocon becomes an independent entity
2000: Biocon commissions its first fully automated submerged fermentation plant to produce specialty pharmaceuticals
- Biocon establishes Clinigene, India's first Clinical Research Organisation (CRO) to pursue clinical research and development
2001: Biocon becomes the first Indian company to be approved by US FDA for the manufacture of lovastatin, a cholesterol–lowering molecule
- Biocon's proprietary bioreactor, PlaFractor™ is granted a US 2001 and world–wide patent
2002: Clinigene's clinical laboratory is the first in India to receive CAP accreditation
2003: Biocon is the first company worldwide to develop human insulin on a Pichia expression system
2004 : Biocon creates a buzz in the stock market in March 2004 with its hugely successful IPO. Day 1 on the bourses closes with a market value of $1.11 billion, making Biocon only the second Indian company to cross the $1 billion mark on the first day of listing.
- Syngene establishes new research centre
- Biocon Limited, announces the launch of INSUGEN®, the new generation bio–insulin, manufactured in Asia's largest human insulin plant.
- Biocon Limited and Vaccinex, Inc. announce a broad strategic partnership to discover and co–develop at least four therapeutic antibody products.
2005 : Biocon signs a commercial agreement for supply of insulin API to Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
2006 : Biocon inaugurates Biocon Biopharmaceuticals, India's largest multi–product Biologics facility at Biocon Park
- Biocon inaugurates Biocon Park, India's largest integrated biotechnology hub, comprising an integrated cluster of research laboratories and manufacturing facilities spread across 90 acres in KIADB (Karnataka Industrial Areas Development Board) industrial estate.
- Biocon announces a licensing agreement with Bayer HealthCare (BHC) for the exclusive marketing and trademark rights for INSUGEN® for the Chinese market.
- Syngene and Innate Pharmaceuticals AB, Umea, Sweden conclude a cooperation agreement to jointly develop, manufacture and market virulence blockers to counteract bacterial diarrhoeal disease.
- Biocon launches India's first anti–cancer drug BIOMAb EGFR.
2007 : Biocon and Abu Dhabi based pharmaceutical company Neopharma sign an MOU to establish a JV to manufacture and market a range of biopharmaceuticals for the GCC countries (Gulf Cooperation Council).
- Biocon grants exclusive license to Ferozsons Laboratories Limited for marketing BIOMAb EGFR® in Pakistan.
- Biocon announces the launch of its Nephrology Division and a comprehensive portfolio of renal therapy products.
- Syngene enters into a research partnership with Bristol–Myers Squibb and completes the ground breaking ceremony of new research facility at Biocon Park.
- Biocon signs Memorandum of Understanding with Deakin University, Australia. To establish Deakin Research Institute in Bangalore
- Biocon divests enzymes division for USD 115 million to Novozymes. Biocon business portfolio to focus on biopharmaceuticals
- Biocon and Abraxis BioScience, announce an agreement wherein Abraxis will license the right to develop a biosimilar version of G–CSF (Granulocyte–Colony Stimulating Factor) in North America and the European Union.
- Biocon and Neopharma sign an MoU to establish Neobiocon, a joint venture company in Dubai's biotechnology and research park, Dubiotech.
- Biocon and Abraxis BioScience Inc., announce a licensing agreement for the commercialization of ABRAXANE® (paclitaxel protein–bound particles for injectable suspension) (albumin–bound) in India.
- Biocon presents the results of Phase 1 studies on its oral insulin product, IN–105 at the European Association for Study of Diabetes (EASD) meeting held at Amsterdam.
2008 : Biocon acquires a 78% stake in German pharmaceutical company, AxiCorp GmbH for a consideration of €30 Million
- Biocon launches a Safety Device in the form of pre–filled syringes for two of its life saving products, GCSF (granulocyte–colony stimulating factor) and EPO (Erythropoietin) in collaboration with Safety Syringes Inc. ERYPRO Safe™ and NUFIL Safe™ are the first two drugs that will marketed using this novel device with other injectable products to follow in the future.
- Biocon and Abraxis Bioscience launch ABRAXANE in India for treatment of Breast Cancer.
- Biocon is ranked among the top 20 global biotechnology companies (Med Ad News).
- Biocon is the 7th largest biotech employer in the world (Med Ad News).
- Biocon announced the results of an ascending dose study on its oral insulin drug (IN–105) at the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD) meeting in Rome.
- NeoBiocon and Abraxis Bioscience launch Abraxane in The UAE for the treatment of Breast Cancer.
2009 :Biocon's Syngene partners with Sapient Discovery to expand integrated drug discovery offerings
- Biocon's Syngene and DuPont Crop Protection Forge Alliance Partnership
- Bristol–Myers Squibb and Biocon's Syngene open new R&D Facility at Biocon Park
- Biocon launches BASALOG – long lasting basal insulin for Type 1 & Type 2 Diabetics
- Biocon inks partnership with ISB to launch the Biocon Cell for Innovation Management
- Biocon Announces Strategic Collaboration with Mylan to enter the Global Generic Biologics Market
- Biocon and Amylin Pharmaceuticals entered into a Global Development and Commercialization Agreement for a Novel Peptide Hybrid. The Program will focus on the potential treatment of diabetes.
- Biocon and HCG group of hospitals join hands to fight against cervical
2010 :Biocon explores investment in Malaysia in partnership with BiotechCorp
- Biocon and Bayer join hands to create awareness for self monitoring for diabetics
- Syngene and Endo Pharmaceuticals, USA to jointly discover and develop novel biological drug molecules to fight cancer
- Biocon acquires stake of its Cuban partner CIMAB S.A. in their seven year old JV, Biocon Biopharmaceuticals Pvt. Ltd
- Biocon and Optimer Pharmaceuticals announce manufacturing and supply agreement for a novel API, first–in–class anti–infective (C. difficile)
- Biocon and the Center of Molecular Immunology (CIM), based in Havana, Cuba strengthen their existing research partnership by joining forces for an integrated antibody program in immunology
- Biocon and Pfizer announce strategic global agreement for the worldwide commercialization of Biocon's biosimilar versions of Insulin and Insulin analog products: Recombinant Human Insulin, Glargine, Aspart and Lispro
- Biocon announces a strategic foreign direct investment in Malaysia with the Malaysian Biotechnology Corporation SdnBhd (BiotechCorp)
2011: Biocon divests its stake in its German subsidiary, AxiCorp GmbH, to the existing group of promoter shareholders.
– Biocon launches INSUPen®, a convenient and affordable reusable insulin delivery device
– Biocon enhances Partnership with Mylan through Strategic Collaboration for Insulin Products
– Biocon Launched ALZUMAb™– a 'First in Class' Novel Biologic Treatment for Psoriasis Patients in India
– Biocon and Quark Pharmaceuticals Collaborate to Develop Novel siRNA based Therapeutics
– Biocon's ALZUMAb™ wins BioSpectrum BioPharma Product of the Year, 2013
– Biocon Academy's Flagship Program in Collaboration with KGI Takes Off to a Flying Start
– Biocon introduced CANMAb™ – Trastuzumab for Treating Breast Cancer in India '
– Biocon has been conferred with the Sir J C Bose Memorial Award – 2013 (Institutional category) by Indian Science Monitor (ISM) for its contribution in the field of Biotechnology, with special reference to the launch of ALZUMAb (Itolizumab)
2013: – Biocon Ranked at No. 6 among Top 20 Global Biotech Employers by the Science Magazine
2010: Biocon wins Bio–Excellence Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Healthcare Sector at Bangalore Bio
2009: Biocon among Top 20 Indian companies in Forbes ‘Best Under A Billion’ list.
- Biocon wins Bio–Excellence Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Healthcare Sector at Bangalore Bio
- Syngene wins Bio–Excellence Award for outstanding achievement in the Biotech Service Sector at Bangalore Bio
- Biocon bags IDMA 'Best Patent of the year' award
- BIOMAb EGFR was voted ‘Bio–Spectrum Asia–Pacific Product of the year’, 2008
- Biocon wins prestigious BioSingapore Asia Pacific Biotechnology Award for Best Listed Company
2008: Biocon is ranked among the top 20 global biotechnology companies (Source: Med Ad News, June 2008)
Biocon is the 7th largest biotech employer in the world (Source: Med Ad News, June 2008)
2007: Syngene receives 'BioServices Company of the Year', BioSpectrum Awards
Biocon's BIOMAb EGFR wins 'Product of the Year', BioSpectrum Awards
2006: Best IT User Award in the Pharmaceutical Sector, NASSCOM
2004: India's first and No. 1 biotech company with a global ranking of 16* (Source: Biospectrum July 2004)
- Biocon in India's top 5 Life Sciences companies (at close of trade as on July 30, 2004)
- Best Reinvention of HR Function Award, Indira Group, Mumbai
- Best Employer Of India Award, Hewitt
2003: Bio–Business Award for bio–entrepreneurship, Rabo India
- Express Pharma Pulse Award for excellence in the pharmaceutical industry
2001: Biotech Product, Process Development and Commercialisation Award, Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India
2000: Technology Pioneer Recognition, World Economic Forum
1985: Export Performance Award, Karnataka State Financial Corporation (KSFC)
National Award for Best Small Industry, Government of India Kiran Mazumdar–Shaw:
2010: Featured on the Forbes list of ‘The World’s 100 Most Powerful Women’.
Featured on the Financial Times ‘Top 50 Women in Business’ list.
Named among TIME magazine’s 100 most influential people in the world.
2009: Honoured with 'Nikkei Asia Prize' for Regional Growth
Honoured with 'Express Pharmaceutical Leadership Summit Award' for Dynamic Entrepreneur
2008: Honorary Degree of Doctor of Science from the Heriot–Watt University, Edinburgh
Honorary Degree of Doctor of Science from the University of Glasgow
2007: Honoured with the, 'Veuve Clicquot Initiative For Economic Development For Asia' award
Honorary Doctor of Technology, University of Abertay, Dundee ( UK )
2005: Padmabhushan Award , one of India's highest civilian honours, from the President of India, Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam
- Honorary Degree of Doctor of Science (Honoris Causa) from Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
- The Indian Chamber of Commerce Lifetime Achievement Award
- Honorary Doctorate from Manipal Academy of Higher Education (MAHE), in recognition of outstanding achievements in biotechnology and industrial enzymes
- Rotary Award for Corporate Citizenship
- Business Leader of the Year Award – Biotechnology, Chemtech–Pharma Bio Awards
2004: Honorary Doctorate of Science from Ballarat University, in recognition of pre–eminent contribution to the field of biotechnology
Business Woman Of The Year Award, The Economic Times
2003: Alumni High Achiever Award, Australian Alumni Association
2002: Karnataka Rajyotsava Award for pioneering biotechnology in India, the Government of Karnataka
Best Entrepreneur: Healthcare & Life Sciences Award, Ernst & Young
M. Visvesvaraya Memorial Award for contribution to biotechnology, Federation of Karnataka Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FKCCI)
1999: Woman of the Year Award, International Women's Association, Chennai
1998: Golden Jubilee Felicitation, Mount Carmel College, Bangalore
1989: Padmashri for pioneering biotechnology in India, Government of India
1987: Outstanding Young Person Award, Jaycees India
1983: Best Small Scale Industry in Karnataka Award, Rotary Club, Karnataka
Best Model Employer Award, Rotary Club, Karnataka Outstanding Contribution Award, AWAKE
1982: Best Woman Entrepreneur Award, National Institute of Marketing Management, India