NSE Symbol: | BSE Code: | ISIN: | Sector:
- Add to Portfolio
- Add to Watchlist
- Add to Alert
Apollo Hospitals Enterprise Limited (AHEL) was incorporated as a Public Limited Company in the year 1979. Promoted by Dr. Prathap C Reddy, it is the first group of hospitals that pioneered the concept of corporate healthcare delivery in India. AHEL is a listed Company on the Bombay Stock Exchange.
AHEL today, is the leading private sector healthcare provider in Asia and owns and manages a network of speciality hospitals and clinics, a chain of Pharmacy retail outlets across the country, and provides Consultancy Services for commissioning and managing the Speciality Hospitals
It is often said that nothing happens, unless there is a dream first. At the genesis of the Apollo story there was a dream. A dream so powerful, that it helped transform the medical landscape in India. The dream nurtured and grew within Dr. Prathap C Reddy, the founder Chairman of Apollo Hospitals, until the point of inflection happened in 1983.
Apollo Hospitals started as a 150 bed hospital in Chennai. And it has to be said, amidst much scepticism. India in the early 80's was not the easiest place for private enterprise. Moreover private healthcare institutions were unknown and they were not doing cutting edge work. 25 years later it is an amazing story of success, achievement and most importantly, dreams realized.
As Apollo Hospitals has made colossal strides to reach where it is, more and more facets of the founding vision have turned to reality. Today Apollo Hospitals is not just one of the country's premier healthcare providers but has also played a pioneering role in helping India become a center–of–excellence in global healthcare.
The Apollo Hospitals group's futuristic vision has ensured that it has been in a position of strength at every touch point of the healthcare delivery chain. Its presence encompasses over 10,000 beds across 61 hospitals, more than 1500 pharmacies, over 100 primary care & diagnostic clinics, 115 telemedicine units across 9 countries, health insurance services, global projects consultancy, 15 academic institutions and a Research Foundation with a focus on global clinical trials, epidemiological studies, stem–cell and genetic research.
However the largest achievement of the Apollo Group has been to take quality healthcare to across the length and breadth of India. Of touching 10 million lives and giving hope to an entire segment of the Indian population who did not have an option beyond limited medical infrastructure.
Apollo has succeeded in being more than just a quality healthcare provider. It has been a major player in scripting the medical landscape of the nation. This is primarily because the group has continuously been at the helm of several game–changing innovations in Indian healthcare.
By the start of the new millennium, Apollo Hospitals Group had become an integrated healthcare organization with owned and managed hospitals, diagnostic clinics, dispensing pharmacies and consultancy services. In addition, the group's service offerings include healthcare at the patient's doorstep, clinical & diagnostic services, medical business process outsourcing, third party administration services and heath insurance. To enhance performance and service to customers, the company also makes available the services to support the business of healthcare; telemedicine services, education and training programmes & research services and a host of not– for– profit projects.
Services offered by the company:
- Cardiology & Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Orthopedics & Joint Replacement Surgery
- Spine Surgery
- Medical & Surgical Gastroenterology
- Neurology & Neurosurgery
- Nephrology & Urology
- Critical Care Medicine
- Pioneered open heart surgeries and cardiac catheterization, in the early 80’s.
- Pioneers of the Preventive health check programmes in India and performed 3 million checks to date.
- Introduced cutting edge procedures like off–pump and beating–heart surgery, either by thoracotomy (minimal invasive access) or classical sternotomy, trans–radial angioplasty and stenting, mitral valve replacement.
- By 1992, Apollo Hospitals introduced Artery Stenting for the first time in India. Conducted over 90,000 cardiac surgeries – one of only 10 hospitals in the world to achieve these volumes. Achieved a 99.6% success rate in cardiac bypass surgeries, over 91% of which were beating heart surgeries.
- Largest series of aortic valve replacement with stentless heart valve bioprosthesis performed. Performed over 7,50,000 major surgeries and over 10,00,000 minor surgical procedures with exceptional clinical outcomes.
- First private healthcare provider to perform a heart transplant in 1995.
- In 1995, Apollo Hospitals performed its first Bone Marrow Transplantation, as well as the first multi organ transplant in the country.
- Apollo performed an unprecedented revolution in orthopedics by equalizing limbs and deformity correction by the llizarov procedure.
- Centre for liver disease and transplantation, Apollo Hospitals Chennai has completed 100 liver transplantations in less than 4 years with over 90% success rate, creating a milestone.
- Latest M guard stent technology, a specially designed Mesh covered stent, was used to save a 27 year old man from an acute heart attack. Apollo Hospital is first to introduce the technology in Chennai.
- World's first iPod Navigation Hip Resurfacing Surgery was successfully performed at Apollo Speciality Hospitals, Chennai.
- Apollo Specialty Hospitals, Chennai added successfully conducted exultant Micro vascular free tissue transfer and Aesthetic surgeries on more than 1000 patients by the end of March 2011.
- Apollo Hospitals Chennai completed 10,000 Coronary Angioplasties in 2009, including many refined procedures like Multi–Vessel Angioplasty, Left Main Angioplasty and Bifurcation Lesions.
- Apollo Hospitals Group has performed more than 775 solid organ transplants for the year, 2010, making it one of the World’s Busiest Liver Transplant Centres. Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals, Delhi has also completed over 500 liver transplants in February, 2011.
- Apollo Gleneagles Cancer Hospital Launches Eastern India's first dedicated comprehensive Bone Marrow Transplant Unit.
- The Apollo Hospitals, one of the six centres in India to be part of a global trial on using drug–eluting bio–resorbable stents, are the first in Chennai to use the product. The next generation in devices that relieve blood vessel blocks will dissolve within a couple of years. The device works like a regular stent by restoring blood flow to a clogged vessel. It also contains a drug that is slowly released to help the healing process.
- Apollo Bramwell Hospital, Mauritius in conjunction with Global Biohealth Solutions, launched the Apollo Bramwell Stem Cell Therapy Program.
- First American underwent a successful Heart Transplant at Apollo Hospitals, Chennai ! Ronald Lemmer, 65 years old, was transplanted with the heart of a 36–year–old accident victim in an eight–hour surgery by Dr Paul Ramesh at Apollo Hospitals Chennai. In the process, two records were also created. The patient was not only the first U.S. citizen to undergo a heart transplant in India, but he was also the oldest person to undergo a heart transplant in the country.
Over the years, Apollo has received many awards and accolades in recognition of its pioneering achievements in Indian healthcare.
- In April 2014– Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals became the first hospital in India to have successfully performed 500 liver transplants in Pakistani patients – Chairman honored with Lifetime Achievement Award by CNBC TV18
- In Jan 2010, Chairman Dr. Prathap C Reddy was conferred with the Padma Vibhushan award by the Government of India, for excellence and exceptional service in the Healthcare industry in the country. Dr. Prathap C Reddy, was also awarded the Padma Bhushan in 1991.
- Dr. Prathap C Reddy awarded with the prestigious Alexandria – Frost & Sullivan 2010 – Lifetime Achievement Award in Healthcare Sector and Apollo Pharmacy presented with the Healthcare Retail Company of the Year Award.
- Billion Hearts Beating (BHB) Campaign is a proud winner in the Corporate Social Responsibility practice category, at the 5th Indy's Awards 2011.Apollo Telemedicine Networking Foundation India has obtained the 'Best Poster' Award at the 7th Annual World Health Care Congress & World Health Innovations Summit, 2011 held at Washington DC.
- Apollo Hospitals Group Website won the “Best Healthcare Provider Website” Award in the Internet Advertising Competition – IAC 2011 by the Web Marketing Association, USA.
- Apollo Health City – Hyderabad has become the first hospital in the country to be recognized as the 'Best Medical Tourism Facility for 2009–2010' by Ministry of Tourism – Government of India. This prestigious National Honor was given on 28 March 2011 by Ms. Meira Kumar – Honorable Speaker, Lok Sabha in New Delhi in a glittering ceremony.
- Apollo Hospitals Group won many laurels in the Best Hospitals in India – Survey 2010 by 'The Week' Magazine
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai & Hyderabad won the healthcare awards 2008, instituted by the Express Healthcare Publications (The Indian Express Group). The awards received include:– Apollo Hospitals Chennai– Overall Best Hospital of the year – Apollo Hospital Chennai– Operational Excellence– Apollo Speciality Hospital, Chennai– Leveraging Global Opportunity– Apollo Health City Hyderabad– Sustained Growth– Apollo Health City Hyderabad– Patient Care
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai has been rated 'Best Private Sector Hospital' in India by The Week magazine for 2003, 2004, 2007 and 2008.
- Apollo Hospitals was recognized as a 'Superbrand of India' in the healthcare sector for 2003 and 2004
- Apollo Clinics were awarded Franchisor of the Year for 2003 and 2004
- The Asia–Pacific BioBusiness Leadership Award 2005 was awarded to Dr. Prathap C. Reddy, Founder Chairman Apollo hospitals group.
- Modern Medicare Excellence Award 2006–07 award to Dr.Prathap C Reddy, Founder Chairman, Apollo Hospitals Group, by ICICI Group, to honour outstanding achievements in the healthcare industry
- Save a Child's Heart (SACH) – was a runner–up in the 'Corporate Governance' category at Hospital Management Asia 2004, a major hospital expo in Bangkok, Thailand
- Avaya Global Connect award went for the second successive year, in 2006, to Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad for customer responsiveness in the healthcare sector based on a nation wide polling exercise.