NSE Symbol: | BSE Code: | ISIN: | Sector:
- Add to Portfolio
- Add to Watchlist
- Add to Alert
ACC is India?������s foremost manufacturer of cement and concrete and was established on August 1,1936. ACC?������s operations are spread throughout the country with 14 modern cement factories, more than 30 ready mix concrete plants, 20 sales offices, and several zonal offices. It has a workforce of about 10,000 persons and a countrywide distribution network of over 9,000 dealers. ACC's research and development facility has a unique track record of innovative research, product development and specialized consultancy services. Since its inception in 1936, the company has been a trendsetter and important benchmark for the cement industry in respect of its production, marketing and personnel management processes. Its commitment to environment-friendliness, its high ethical standards in business dealings and its on-going efforts in community welfare programmes have won it acclaim as a responsible corporate citizen. ACC has made significant contributions to the nation building process by way of quality products, services and sharing its expertise.
In the 70 years of its existence, ACC has been a pioneer in the manufacture of cement and concrete and a trendsetter in many areas of cement and concrete technology including improvements in raw material utilisation, process improvement, energy conservation and development of high performance concretes.
ACC?������s brand name is synonymous with cement and enjoys a high level of equity in the Indian market. It is the cement company that figures in the list of Consumer Super Brands of India.
The company's various businesses are supported by a powerful, in-house research and technology backup facility - the only one of its kind in the Indian cement industry. This ensures not just consistency in product quality but also continuous improvements in products, processes, and application areas.
ACC has rich experience in mining, being the largest user of limestone, and it is also one of the principal users of coal. As the largest cement producer in India, it is one of the biggest customers of the Indian Railways, and the foremost user of the road transport network services for inward and outward movement of materials and products.
ACC has also extended its services overseas to the Middle East, Africa, and South America, where it has provided technical and managerial consultancy to a variety of consumers, and also helps in the operation and maintenance of cement plants abroad.
ACC is among the first companies in India to include commitment to environmental protection as one of its corporate objectives, long before pollution control laws came into existence. The company installed pollution control equipment and high efficiency sophisticated electrostatic precipitators for cement kilns, raw mills, coal mills, power plants and coolers as far back as 1966. Every factory has state-of-the art pollution control equipment and devices.
ACC demonstrates the practices of being a good corporate citizen undertaking a wide range of activities to improve the living conditions of the under-privileged classes living near its factories.
Subsidiaries and associate companies:
- Bulk Cement Corporation (India) Limited (BCCI):- Situated at Kalamboli, in Navi Mumbai.
- Lucky Minmat:- ACC acquired 100 per cent of the equity of Lucky Minmat Private Limited.
- ACC Concrete Limited- ACC set up India's first commercial Ready Mix Concrete (RMX) plant in Mumbai as ACC Concrete Limited
- ACC Mineral Resources Limited - ACC's wholly owned subsidiary, The Cement Marketing Company of India Limited, was renamed as ACC Mineral Resources Limited (AMRL) in May 2009
- National Limestone Company Private Limited- National Limestone Company Private Limited is a wholly owned subsidiary of ACC.
- Encore Cement & Additives Private Limited- ACC acquired 100 percent of the financial equity of this company which is a slag grinding plant
Product range of the company includes:
Ordinary Portland Cement:
- 43 Grade Cement (OPC 43 Grade)
- 53 Grade Cement
Portland Slag Cement
Ready Mix Concrete
- 1936 - Incorporation of The Associated Cement Companies Limited on August 1, 1936.
- 1936 - First Board Meeting of The Associated Cement Companies Limited held at Esplanade House, Mumbai on November 10, 1936.
- 1937 - With the transfer of the 10th company to ACC, viz. Dewarkhand Cement Company, the formation of ACC is complete on October 23, 1937.
- 1944 - ACC?������s first community development venture near Bombay
- 1947 - India?������s first entirely indigenous cement plant established at Chaibasa in Bihar
- 1952 - Village Welfare Scheme launched
- 1955 - Sindri cement works used the waste product calcium carbonate sludge from fertilizer factory at Sindri.
- 1956 - Bulk Cement Depot established at Okhla, Delhi
- 1957 - Technical training institute established at Kymore, Madhya Pradesh.
- 1957 - Katni Refractories
- 1961 - Blast furnace slag from Tisco used at the Chaibasa Unit to manufacture Portland Slag Cement for the first time in India.
- 1961 - Manufacture of Accocid Cement, which resists the corrosive action of acids and chemicals.
- 1961 - Oilwell Cement manufactured at ACC Shahabad Cement Works in Karnataka for cementation of oilwells upto a depth of 6,000 feet.
- 1961- Manufacture of Hydrophobic (waterproof) cement at ACC Khalari Cement Works in Bihar.
- 1962 - Manufacture of Accoproof, a waterproofing additive.
- 1965 - ACC?������s Central Research Station (CRS) established at Thane
- 1965 - Manufacture of Portland Pozzolana Cement.
- 1965 - Manufacture of Calundum, a High Alumina Binder; Firecrete, Low Density Alumina Castables and High Alumina Refractory Cement.
- 1968 - Advent of computers in ACC for data processing and designing management information and control systems.
- 1968 - ACC supplied and commissioned one-million tonne iron ore pelletising plant ordered by Tisco
- 1971 - Manufacture of Whytheat Castables A, K, C and Cal-Al-75
- 1973 - Take-over of The Cement Marketing Company of India (CMI)
- 1977 - ACC receives ASSOCHAM first national award for the year 1976 instituted for outstanding performance in promoting rural and agricultural development activities.
- 1978 - Introduction of the energy efficient precalcinator technology for the first time in India. Full scale commercial production based on MFC technology at Wadi in 1979.
- 1979 - ACC wins international contract for operation and management of a new one million tonne cement plant at Yanbu-Ras Biridi in Saudi Arabia.
- 1982 - Commissioning of the first 1 MTPA plant in the country at Wadi, Karnataka.
- 1984 - ACC achieves a breakthrough in import substitution by developing and supplying a special G type of oil well cement to ONGC.
- 1987 - ACC develops a new binder for use at sub-zero temperatures, which is successfully used in the Indian expedition to Antarctica.
- 1992 - Incorporation of Bulk Cement Corporation of India, a joint venture with the Government of India.
- 1993 - ACC starts the commercial manufacture of Ready Mixed Concrete at Mumbai.
- 1998 - Commissioning of the 0.6 MTPA cement grinding unit at Tikaria, Uttar Pradesh.
- 1999- Commissioning of captive power plants at the Jamul and Kymore plants in Madhya Pradesh.
- 1999 - Tata group sells 7.2% of its stake in ACC to Ambuja Cement Holdings Ltd, a subsidiary of Gujarat Ambuja Cements Ltd. (GACL)
- 2000 - Tata Group sells its remaining stake in ACC to the GACL group, who with 14.45% now emerge as the single largest shareholder of ACC.
- 2001- Commissioning of the new plant of 2.6 MTPA capacity at Wadi, Karnataka plant, the largest in the country, and among the largest sized kilns in the world.
- 2002 - ACC wins PHDCCI Good Corporate Citizen Award
- 2003- IDCOL Cement Ltd becomes a subsidiary of ACC
- 2004 - IDCOL Cement Limited is renamed as Bargarh Cement Limited (BCL).
- 2004 - ACC raises $100 million abroad through Foreign Currency Convertible Bonds (FCCBs) for US$ 60 million and Global Depository Shares (GDSs) for $40 million. Both offerings are listed on the London Stock Exchange.
- 2004 - ACC named as a Consumer Superbrand by the Superbrands Council of India, becoming the only cement company to get this status.
- 2004 - GreenTech Safety Gold and Silver Awards awarded to Madukkarai Cement Works and Katni Refractory Works by Greentech Foundation for outstanding performance in Safety Management System.
- 2005 - ACC receives the CFBP Jamnalal Bajaj Uchit Vyavahar Puraskar Certificate of Merit ?����ǣ 2004 from Council For Fair Business Practices.
- 2005 - Holcim group of Switzerland enters strategic alliance with Ambuja Group by acquiring a majority stake in Ambuja Cements India Ltd. (ACIL) which at the time held 13.8 % of the total equity shares in ACC. Holcim simultaneously makes an open offer to ACC shareholders, through Holdcem Cement Pvt. Limited and ACIL, to acquire a majority shareholding in ACC. Pursuant to the open offer, ACIL?������s shareholding in ACC increases to 34.69 % of the Equity share capital of ACC.
- 2005 - Commissioning of Modernisation and Expansion project at Chaibasa in Jharkhand, replacing old wet process technology with a new 1.2 MTPA clinkering unit, together with a captive power plant of 15 MW.
- 2005 - Financial accounting year of the company changed to calendar year January-December
- 2006 - Subsidiary companies Damodhar Cement & Slag Limited, Bargarh Cement Limited and Tarmac (India) Limited merged with ACC
- 2006 - ACC announces new Workplace policy for HIV/AIDS
- 2006 - Change of name to ACC Limited with effect from September 1, 2006 from The Associated Cement Companies Limited.
- 2006 - ACC receives Good Corporate Citizen Award 2005-06 from Bombay Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- 2006 - New corporate brand identity and logo adopted from October 15, 2006
- 2006 - ACC establishes Anti Retroviral Treatment Centre for HIV/AIDS patients at Wadi in Karnataka?����ǣ the first ever such project by a private sector company in India.
- 2007 - ACC partners with Christian Medical College for treatment of HIV/AIDS in Tamil Nadu
- 2007 - Sumant Moolgaokar Technical Institute completes 50 years and reopens with new curriculum
- 2007 - ACC commissions Wind energy farm in Tamilnadu.
- 2008 - Ready mixed concrete business hived off to a new subsidiary called ACC Concrete Limited.
- 2008 - ACC Cement Technology Institute formally inaugurated at Jamul on July 7.
- 2008 - First Sustainable Development Report released on June 5.
- 2008 - ACC wins CNBC-TV18 India Business Leader Award in the category India Corporate Citizen of the year 2008
- 2008 - Project Orchid launched to transform our Corporate Office, Cement House into a green building.
- 2009 - ACC received the Jamanalal Bajaj 'Uchit Vyavahar Puraskar' of Council for Fair Business Practices
- 2009 - ACC is allotted coal blocks in Madhya Pradesh and West Bengal.
- 2010- ACC enters its platinum jubilee year - the first company in the cement industry to achieve this status.
- 2011- World's largest kiln installed at ACC Cement Plant, Wadi, Karnataka with a capacity of 12,500 tonnes per day creating new landmarks for cement industry.
- 2011- Central Control Room Building at ACC Chanda Plant, Maharashtra set up as a Green building, the first of its kind in an industrial environment.
- IMC Ramkrishna Bajaj National Quality Award.
- National Award for outstanding performance in promoting rural and agricultural development.
- Sword of Honour - by British Safety Council, United Kingdom for excellence in safety performance.
- Indira Priyadarshini Vrikshamitra Award.
- FICCI Award
- Subh Karan Sarawagi Environment Award
- Drona Trophy.
- Indo German Greentech Environment Excellence Award.
- Golden Peacock Environment Management Special Award.
- Indira Gandhi Memorial National Award.
- Excellence in Management of Health, Safety and Environment.
- Vishwakarma Rashtriya Puraskar trophy.
- Good Corporate Citizen Award.
- Jamnalal Bajaj Uchit Vyavahar Puraskar.
- Greentech Safety Gold and Silver Awards.
- FIMI National Award.
- Rajya Sthariya Paryavaran Puraskar.
- National Award for Fly Ash Utilisation.
- Good Corporate Citizen Award.
- National Award for Excellence in Water Management.
- Golden Peacock Eco-Innovation Award 2008.
- Best Audit Committee Award 2008.
- 'Vanvasi Sant Gahira Guruji Maharaj - Chhattisgarh Paryavaran Puraskar' 2008.
- Safety Innovation Award.
- Greentech Environment Excellence Award.
- Good Green Governance Award.
- The Federation of Indian Mineral Industries, (FIMI).
- Tikaria wins IMC Ramkrishna Bajaj Certificate of Merit 2008.
- Gagal wins IMC Ramkrishna Bajaj National Quality Performance Excellence Trophy 2008.
- CNBC-TV18's India Business Leaders Award.
- Greentech Safety Gold Awards 2009.
- ACC wins Golden Peacock Award for Eco-Innovation by World Environment Foundation
- ACC wins Dun & Bradstreet Rolta Corporate Award 2010 - leader in Cement category