- Prices reduced by 1 paisa per litre in Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata
- Petrol, diesel prices still near all-time highs in some cities
- Prices were hiked by Rs. 3-4 a litre from May 13 to May 29
Here are five things to know about petrol and diesel prices today:
1. With effect from 6 am on Wednesday, petrol prices were at Rs 78.42 per litre in Delhi, Rs 81.05 per litre in Kolkata, Rs 86.23 per litre in Mumbai and Rs 81.42 per litre in Chennai, according to Indian Oil Corporation, the country's largest fuel retailer. Diesel prices were at Rs 69.3 a litre, Rs 71.85 a litre, Rs 73.78 a litre and Rs 73.17 a litre respectively.
|Petrol price (in Rs. per litre)||Diesel price (in Rs. per litre)|
2. The cut of 1 paisa per litre came after a total hike of Rs 3-4 per litre in the four metros in the past 16 days. Petrol prices were hiked by Rs 3.8 per litre in Delhi, Rs 3.74 per litre in Kolkata, Rs 3.76 per litre in Mumbai and Rs 4 per litre in Chennai from May 13 to May 29. Diesel prices, during this period, were increased by Rs 3.38 a litre, Rs 3.23 a litre, Rs 3.59 a litre and Rs 3.62 a litre respectively.
3. The continued increase in domestic petrol and diesel prices in the past 16 days was a result of higher global crude oil prices along with weakness in the rupee against the US dollar, among other factors. The government had said last week that it was looking at short-term as well as long-term solutions for rising domestic fuel prices. (Also read: Petrol, Diesel Should Be Brought Under GST: Nitin Gadkari)
4. Petrol and diesel prices in India are linked to Singapore gasoline prices and Arab Gulf diesel prices, which mostly track movements in crude oil prices. Crude oil prices fell to about $75 a barrel as Saudi Arabia and Russia said they were ready to ease supply curbs that have pushed crude prices to their highest since 2014, news agency Reuters reported.
5. Crude oil is the most expensive item on India's import bill as the country meets more than 80 per cent of its oil requirements through imports. Therefore, weakness in the rupee against the US dollar also puts pressure on domestic petrol and diesel prices. The rupee is down more than 6 per cent against the greenback so far this year.
Get the latest election news, live updates and election schedule for Lok Sabha Elections 2019 on ndtv.com/elections. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for updates from each of the 543 parliamentary seats for the 2019 Indian general elections.