Here are 10 things to know about UID or Aadhaar card number:
1) One can enrol for Aadhaar at any age. Once attaining five years of age, the biometrics details - through iris and fingertips scans - of the children can be updated on Aadhaar. "When your child reaches the age of 5, it is important to get his/her biometrics updated to Aadhaar. Not doing so will make the Bal Aadhaar invalid," the UIDAI said.
3) The Aadhaar enrolment system - provided by the UIDAI - also provisions for enrolment of individuals with "ill-defined fingerprints or missing biometrics".
4) Also, persons suffering from eye ailments - cataract, retina damage or partial/complete blindness - can also enrol for Aadhaar card, the UIDAI has said.
5) "Aadhaar enrolment can be done even if someone in a family doesn't have individual valid docs," the Authority said in another Tweet.
Who can get Aadhaar card
6) Aadhaar card or UID is available to residents only. Therefore, NRIs (non-resident Indians) and OCIs (Overseas Citizens of India) are not eligible for Aadhaar card.
Digital Aadhaar card
7) The UIDAI also enables Aadhaar card holders to download a digital copy of the biometrics-based identity card. "Please ensure that you delete the local copy of your Aadhaar downloaded on any public machine to avoid its misuse," the UIDAI advised Aadhaar holders.
8) Aadhaar is to be mandatorily quoted for a number of important tasks. These range from investment in PPF (Public Provident Fund), NSC (National Savings Certificate) to bank account to applying for a PAN (Permanent Account Number) and filing income tax return (ITR). The UIDAI has advised Aadhaar card holders not to share their Aadhaar OTP with anyone.
You can now choose to verify your mobile SIM with Aadhaar without giving your biometrics to mobile companies. Use Aadhaar OTP authentication from comfort of your home.#VerifyWithAadhaarpic.twitter.com/Xii7YzY0ya— Aadhaar (@UIDAI) November 16, 2017
Aadhaar card linking safe?
9) The UIDAI has time and again vouched for the security of Aadhaar card. "Linking of your Aadhaar with your bank account is safe and secure and the government takes all possible measures to ensure it," it said.
10) The UIDAI has provided several tools on its portal - uidai.gov.in - for the general public. Some of these online tools enable Aadhaar holders to update the address given on Aadhaar card, download a digital copy of Aadhaar card and verify the UID through the registered mobile number. Aadhaar holders can also lock/unlock the biometrics-related information associated with Aadhaar.