- Buying across the board, led by banking, consumer goods, information technology and media stocks, pushed the benchmark indexes higher.
- Indiabulls Housing Finance, Zee Entertainment, HCL Tech, UPL, State Bank of India and ITC were among the top gainers on the 50-scrip benchmark index, closing with advances of between 2.70 per cent and 9.01 per cent.
- The Sensex clocked its highest closing level since September 3. At 11,570, the broader Nifty posted its strongest close since August 31, 2018.
- Buying interest in heavyweights such as HDFC, ICICI Bank and SBI ahead of the expiry of derivatives contracts supported the markets, say analysts.
- "Most banks have given good returns for the month. They have given the best return for derivatives settlement... short-covering is helping in the last moment," said AK Prabhakar, head of research, IDBI Capital.
- The futures and options (F&O) contracts for the month of March expired at the end of the session.
- Seventeen of the 19 sector gauges compiled by the BSE finished with gains, led by the S&P BSE FMCG, Finance, Bankex and Information Technology indexes, which rose between 1.26 per cent and 1.45 per cent.
- Infosys shares finished 1.3 per cent higher, after rising as much as 2.19 per cent in intraday trade. The advances in the Infosys stock came after the IT services major announced acquisition of a 75 per cent stake in ABN AMRO Group NV's mortgage administration services unit for $143.53 million.
- According to analysts, continued foreign fund inflows also supported the domestic markets. Foreign portfolio investors/foreign institutional investors on Wednesday net purchased equities worth Rs 1,481.11 crore, provisional data from the NSE showed.
- Jet Airways shares ended 2.81 per cent lower at Rs 269.35 apiece on the BSE, amid reports that former SBI chairman Arun Kumar Purwar tops the list of probables to head the interim board of the airline. Jet Airways has been struggling with cash flows for the past six months because of rising fuel costs and intense competition.
(With inputs from Reuters)
Get Breaking news, live coverage, and Latest News from India and around the world on NDTV.com. Catch all the Live TV action on NDTV 24x7 and NDTV India. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.