- SBI has decided to treat the metro and urban centres in the same category
- This move from SBI likely to benefit around 5 crore account holders
- The revised charges will be applicable from October
The charges at semi-urban and rural centres range from Rs 20 to Rs 40 and at urban and metro centres from Rs 30 to Rs 50, SBI further said. The revised monthly balance requirement and charges will be applicable from October.
Apart from Jan Dhan or PMJDY accounts and Basic Savings Bank Deposits Accounts (BSBD), SBI has now decided to exempt the pensioners, beneficiaries of social benefits from the government and accounts of minors. Out of SBI's 42 crore Savings Bank accounts, 13 crore accounts under PMJDY/BSBD are already exempted from maintaining the monthly balance.
The following categories of savings bank accounts are excluded from the monthly balance requirement:
* Financial Inclusion Accounts
* Basic Savings Bank Deposit Accounts
* Pehla Kadam and Pehli Udaan accounts.
* Minors up to the age group of 18 (Primary Account Holder)
* Pensioners, all categories, including recipients of social welfare benefits
With more than 2.73 lakh employees, the country's largest lender caters to a customer base of more than 42 crore customers.
Get Breaking news, live coverage, and Latest News from India and around the world on NDTV.com. Catch all the Live TV action on NDTV 24x7 and NDTV India. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.