Mumbai: The crippled National Spot Exchange Ltd (NSEL) on Wednesday accused the brokers of not providing investor details, and said going by the number of details it got so far the total number of investors who have claimed to have lost money looked bogus.
The exchange said so far it has received details of only 3,600 investors against 13,000 who claim to have lost around Rs 5,600 crore in the scam.
The exchange has been seeking investor details like KYC norms-related information and documentation proof of payment disbursement from its broker members.
NSEL joint managing director Prakash Chaturvedi also said "the exchange is fully responsible for paying all dues to our members but only as and when we get money".
The exchange, which was forced to down shutters from end-July 2013, also claimed that it has already paid Rs 179 crore to 200 brokers as a special payout to brokers to be paid back to investors. The exchange said it has till date received responses from only 133 brokers.
While these brokers account for 3,586 clients and Rs 92 crore of payout, the exchange has no information about the Rs 87 crore disbursement, it claimed.
He, however, refused to provide names of the brokers.
He also said it got the KYC details of only 1,938 trading clients as against 13,000. "This raises doubts. We will pass on the developments, if any, to the relevant authorities," Mr Chaturvedi added.
The EOW looking into the scam has reportedly secured assets of 22 defaulters worth around Rs 5,000 crore, which needs to be liquidated and paid to trading clients. Defaulting members have admitted to liabilities of around Rs 2,000 crore through settlement agreements, he added.