- Bitcoin price recovers to around $14,500 on Saturday
- Digital currency Bitcoin had hit record high of $19,666 on Sunday
- Bitcoin rate against dollar has been fluctuating sharply
Here are five things to know about Bitcoin vs dollar:
1. The bitcoin's rapid gains this year - its price has soared about 19 times when it hit a record high above $19,000 - have spurred caution and alarm among some policymakers.
2. Indian markets regulator Sebi (Securities and Exchange Board of India) will come down heavily on illicit 'initial coin offers' seeking public investments with promise of high returns from bitcoins and other virtual currencies, amid a mushrooming of such schemes in the absence of any regulatory regime, according to news agency Press Trust of India. Bitcoin or any such cryptocurrency, is not an approved product by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) or any other agency.
3. The Income Tax Department is set to issue notices to 4 lakh to 5 lakh high net worth individuals across the country who trade on the exchanges of bitcoins, Press Trust of India had reported earlier. The department, the news agency said citing official sources, found that out of the estimated 20 lakh entities registered on these exchanges, about 4 to 5 lakh were "operational" and indulging in transactions and investments.
4. Bitcoin's journey this year has been anything but volatile this year. Bitcoin hit a record high of $19,666 on Sunday, when the exchange giant CME Group launched bitcoin futures, one week after its rival Cboe Global Markets listed the world's first bitcoin futures. In November, it tumbled almost 30 per cent in four days from $7,888 to $5,555. In September, it fell 40 per cent from $4,979 to $2,972.
(With agency inputs)
Get Breaking news, live coverage, and Latest News from India and around the world on NDTV.com. Catch all the Live TV action on NDTV 24x7 and NDTV India. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.