- Some Aadhaar linking deadlines have been extended to March 31, 2018
- Final hearing on Aadhaar linking to start from January 17 in SC
- PAN, bank account, mobile SIM to be linked by March 31.
Five things to know about Aadhaar linking deadline of March 31:
1) While opening a new bank account, an applicant is not mandated to submit their Aadhaar number to the bank. However, the applicant must submit a proof to the bank that they have applied for the Aadhaar (UID) number.
2) The ruling of Supreme Court will be in force subject to the awaited ruling in a batch of petitions that had challenged the constitutionality of Aadhaar. The top court said the Constitution Bench would commence final hearing from January 17 on the petitions challenging the Aadhaar scheme.
3) The extension of deadline for linking Aadhaar to mobile connections to March 31, 2018 offers an immediate relief to telecom companies such as Airtel, Vodafone, Idea Cellular and Reliance Jio, and the consumers. "We are pleased that the timeline has been extended. We were facing challenges in complying with the earlier deadline given the volume (of telecom subscribers)," COAI director general Rajan Mathews said.
4) The government had, in November, extended to March 31, 2018 the deadline for mandatory quoting of Aadhaar and Permanent Account Number (PAN) for taxpayers. The extension, a government notification said, has been granted "after considering various representations received and inputs received from banks."
5) Insurance regulator IRDAI (Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India) has also notified a March 31, 2018 deadline to link Aadhaar number to the insurance policies. In a circular issued to all the life and non-life health insurers, the regulator said the date of submission of the Aadhaar Number and Permanent Account Number (PAN) or Form 60 by clients to reporting entity is March 31, 2018.