Here are 10 things to know about train ticket cancellation and refund rules:
Cancellation Of Confirmed Ticket
1) Confirmed ticket cancelled up to 48 hours before the scheduled departure of train: Ticket cancellation charges will be deducted at Rs 240 for AC First Class/Executive Class, Rs 200 for AC 2 Tier/First Class, Rs 180 for AC 3 Tier/AC Chair car/AC 3 Economy, Rs.120 for Sleeper Class and Rs.60 for Second Class. Remember that cancellation charges are levied on a per passenger basis.
2) Confirmed ticket cancelled within 48 hours and up to 12 hours before the scheduled departure of train: Ticket cancellation charges will be 25 per cent of the fare subject to the minimum flat rate mentioned above.
3) Confirmed ticket cancelled between 12 hours and up to four hours before the scheduled departure: Cancellation charges will be 50 per cent of the fare paid subject to the minimum cancellation rate.
4) E-tickets cannot be cancelled after chart preparation. No refund of fare shall be admissible on the ticket having confirmed reservation in case ticket is not cancelled or TDR (ticket deposit receipt) not filed online up to four hours before the scheduled departure of the train, according to the IRCTC website.
Wait-Listed, RAC Ticket Cancellation
6) RAC (reservation against cancellation) train tickets or wait-listed train tickets cancelled up to 30 minutes before the departure of train - refund will be granted. No cancellation charge is levied and full fare is refunded to passengers holding confirmed, RAC and wait-listed tickets if the journey is not undertaken due to late running of train by more than three hours of scheduled departure, subject to the condition that the ticket is surrendered prior to actual departure of train.
7) For a PRS (Passenger Reservation System) counter ticket, in case of train cancellation, a refund is permissible within three days excluding the scheduled day of departure of train.
Cancellation Of Tatkal Ticket
8) Remember no refund is granted on cancellation of confirmed Tatkal train tickets.
9) If a train is running late by more than 3 hours or train is cancelled, you can file TDR for claiming refund, according to IRCTC.
Partial Cancellation Of Train Tickets
10) If there is any partial cancellation of ticket, please ensure that a fresh e-reservation slip (electronic reservation slip) is printed separately as done for the original ticket, according to the IRCTC website.
Get Breaking news, live coverage, and Latest News from India and around the world on NDTV.com. Catch all the Live TV action on NDTV 24x7 and NDTV India. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.