IRCTC (Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation) grants no refund on cancellation of confirmed Tatkal tickets/duplicate Tatkal tickets except in case of certain circumstances, said Indian Railways on its portal- indianrail.gov.in. Tatkal ticket bookings are meant for immediate plans. According to IRCTC, Tatkal ticket bookings are allowed in all classes except first AC and executive class. Tatkal booking opens at 10 am for AC classes and 11 am for non-AC classes, one day in advance of the actual date of journey excluding date of journey, said Indian Railways.
Here are the circumstances under which full refund is granted on Tatkal tickets:
1. If the train is delayed by more than 3 hours at the journey originating point of the passenger and not the boarding point if the passenger's journey originating point and boarding point are different.
2. If the train is to run on a diverted route and passenger is not willing to travel.
3. If the train is to run on diverted route and boarding station or the destination or both the stations are not on the diverted route.
4. In case of non-attachment of coach in which Tatkal accommodation has been earmarked and the passenger has not been provided accommodation in the same class.
5. If the party has been accommodated in lower class and does not want to travel. In case the party travels in lower class, the passenger will be given refund of difference of fare and also the difference of Tatkal charges, if any, said Indian Railways.