Indian Railways allows a passenger to get an insurance cover of up to Rs 10 lakh on online train bookings via its e-ticketing arm IRCTC (Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation). The premium for such an insurance cover is 49 paise per passenger inclusive of all taxes, according to IRCTC's website - irctc.co.in. The IRCTC travel insurance scheme is offered to potential passengers on an optional basis, however, if the option is exercised, it is compulsory for all passengers booked under one PNR (Passenger Name Record), according to the IRCTC website. While booking train tickets on IRCTC, through its website or mobile app, users can find the option under the "Travel Insurance" section.
Here are 10 things to know about IRCTC travel insurance scheme:
1. The optional insurance scheme is applicable only for Indian citizens who book their e-tickets through either the IRCTC website or its mobile app.
2. In case a passenger opts for insurance, the claim/liability is applicable between the insured and the insurance company.
3. The coverage for the IRCTC travel insurance scheme is applicable for each passenger under the PNR in case of death, permanent total disability, permanent partial disability and hospitalization expenses for injury and transportation of mortal remains following rail accident or untoward incident, according to the IRCTC website. Here are the details of insurance cover provided by railways for each category:
|Death||Permanent total disability||Permanent partial disability||Hospitalization expenses for injury|
|Rs 10,00,000||Rs 10,00,000||Rs 7,50,000||Rs 2,00,000|
4. The travel insurance scheme is kept uniform for all classes.
5. On opting for the insurance policy, the customer receives the policy information through SMS and on the registered email IDs, directly from insurance companies along with the link for filling nomination details. The policy number can also be viewed from ticket booked history from the IRCTC page.
6. After the booking of ticket, the nomination details are supposed to be filled at respective insurance company's website. In case nomination details are not filled, then the settlement is made with legal heirs, if the claim arises, according to IRCTC.
7. In case of short termination of trains due to any reason, if the passenger opts for the alternate mode of transportation arranged by railway up to the destination station, then this part of the journey of the passenger is also covered under the policy taken by the passenger.
8. In case of diversion of train due to any reason, the coverage is applicable for the diverted route.
9. Once the premium is paid by the passengers no cancellations is allowed. Accordingly, no refund of are made in all cases including wait-listed ticket.
10. The optional travel insurance is, however, not provided for the children below five years of age, according to the IRCTC portal.
Get the latest election news, live updates and election schedule for Lok Sabha Elections 2019 on ndtv.com/elections. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for updates from each of the 543 parliamentary seats for the 2019 Indian general elections.