Indian Railways offer concessions on ticket prices to different categories, the quantum of which ranges from 10 per cent to 100 per cent. The reductions in fares are available for senior citizens, disabled passengers, students, war widows, patients, among others. IRCTC (Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation), the online ticketing platform of Indian Railways, offers concession on senior citizen tickets only. Other concession tickets can be availed at the Passenger Reservation System (PRS) counters at any railway reservation office, according to Indian Railways' website- indianrail.gov.in.
Here are 10 things to know about Indian Railways' ticket concessions:
1. All concessional fares are calculated on the basis of fares for mail/express trains irrespective of the type of train, i.e. mail or express or passenger, by which the passenger travels, according to Indian Railways.
2. Only one type of concession is admissible at a time at the choice of passenger and no person is allowed two or more concessions simultaneously.
3. All types of concessions can be availed only when tickets are purchased across the counter at stations and reservation/ booking offices etc. No one is granted concession on the train.
4. The holder of a concession ticket is not permitted to change the ticket to a higher class even by paying the difference of actual fares.
5. However, the categories of people eligible for concession in first class (and not in AC 2-tier) can purchase tickets for AC 2-tier sleeper also on payment of the first class concessional fare plus difference of actual fares of AC 2-tier sleeper & first class, noted Indian Railways.
6. Except senior citizens, concessions on Indian Railways tickets are admissible only on production of the requisite certificate from the concerned person/organization. The documents issued by persons/organizations in other countries are not considered valid for the purpose of concession in India, according to railway's website.
7. In the case of senior citizens, no proof of age is required at the time of purchasing tickets.
8. Break of journey en-route is not allowed on a concession ticket for a journey for a specific purpose. It is allowed only where a break of journey is a natural event.
9. Concession is not admissible for a journey where the cost of travel is borne by central/state governments/ local bodies/ corporations or government undertakings, universities, etc.
10. In case where concessional single/return journey tickets or season tickets or circular journey tickets are to be issued for two or more persons, the concessional fare is calculated separately for each person.
Get the latest election news, live updates and election schedule for Lok Sabha Elections 2019 on ndtv.com/elections. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for updates from each of the 543 parliamentary seats for the 2019 Indian general elections.