- The passengers are required to give the option for being considered for upgradation at the time of ticket booking. If no option is given at the time of filling up of requisition form, the same is treated as "yes" and passenger(s) are considered for upgradation.
- It is advisable to avail the facility (by exercising the option in the affirmative) and always to check the status (coach/ berth numbers) before boarding the train, noted Indian Railways.
- Upgradation of passengers are done in one class above only e.g. from sleeper to 3AC, 3AC to 2AC and 2AC to 1AC.
- All passengers in one Passenger Name Record (PNR) (maximum 6) are upgraded together. None of them are upgraded in case of non-availability of enough berths for upgradation.
- Original PNR of upgraded passengers remain unchanged and all information is provided when an enquiry is made with the original PNR.
- If a passenger, who has been upgraded, cancels his ticket, cancellation charges of the original class only are payable.
- Only waitlisted passengers are provided confirmed seats under this scheme. The remaining vacant berths are transferred for booking on the current counters as per the existing practice. Thus, if there is no waiting list on a train, no upgradation takes place.
- The berths of confirmed passengers, who have been upgraded to the higher class, are further allotted to the RAC (Reservation Against Cancellation)/WL (Waitlisted) passengers of that class. If there are still some berths vacant, the vacant berths are allotted to confirmed passengers of the next lower class.
- Indian Railways' upgradation scheme is not available in trains that has only sitting accommodation e.g. 2S, CC and EC classes.
- Under this scheme, concession ticket/free passes holders including senior citizens traveling on concession are not upgraded.
Follow NDTV for latest election news and live coverage of assembly elections 2019 in Maharashtra and Haryana.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.