Withdrawal of PF (Provident Fund) for medical emergencies. Details
The Employees' Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) allows its members to withdraw part of their provident fund in case of medical emergency and hospitalisation.
While previously, the withdrawals could only be made after the hospital provided the estimates, the rules were amended last year.
Now, EPFO members are allowed to withdraw a lump sum medical advance of up to ₹1 lakh without the need for an estimate from the hospital or documentation.
The facility can only be availed by employees covered under CS(MA) rules or the Central Government Health Scheme (CGHS).
The withdrawals can be made for patients admitted to a government or Public Sector Unit (PSU) or CGHS-empaneled hospital for treatment of the disease. In the case of a Private Hospital, a background check will be done by the competent authority of EPFO before the final disbursal.
How to withdraw PF money for a medical emergency:
- Log on to the EPFO portal, epfindia.gov.in
- Log into your account by submitting your Universal Account Number (UAN) and password before verifying the captcha details.
-Navigate to the "online services" tab, and click on the "claim" option.
- You will be redirected to a new page requiring you to verify your bank details linked with UAN
- Read the terms and conditions carefully and share your acceptance.
- Now, click on "Proceed for online claim" and select "medical emergency" from the withdrawal applying options.
- In case the withdrawal application is submitted on a working day, the disbursement shall be made by the end of the next day.
At the discretion of the family members, the approved amount can either be withdrawn to the EPFO member's salary account or to the concerned hospital where the treatment is being carried out.
If the patient is already discharged from the hospital, an employee must submit the medical bills with EPFO within 45 days to avail of the facility of PF withdrawal.
Employees can also withdraw their PF online for other reasons quite easily. This can be facilitated through the member e-SEW portal of EPFO.
The employees can withdraw their complete savings in the PF once they retire. However even before retirement, they can withdraw a partial amount if they meet certain criteria.
Important Points For Withdraw Provident Fund
It is mandatory to link one's Aadhar card with the universal account number (UAN) to deposit money to the PF account. This can be one online through the EPFO website or even through the UMANG mobile app.
Completing the “Know Your Customer” or KYC formality is also important before withdrawing PF.
For KYC, PAN card is needed and EPFO after completing the process, gives the PF account a “verified” status.
You can cite these reasons for withdrawal of PF money:
- Housing Loan for construction or purchase of residence. For this you must have been in service for at least 60 months.
- Marriage of self, children, siblings or for post matriculation education of children. A minimum of 84 months of service is required for this claim to be accepted.
- You can withdraw up to 90 percent of your PF money one year before retirement. But you must be above 54 years of age.
- You can use a part of your PF money for medical expenses, natural calamity, purchase of equipment by the physically handicapped, closure of factories, cut in electricity in establishments.
Important Steps To Withdraw Provident Fund
Visit the UAN portal at https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/
Log in using your UAN and password and enter the captcha for verification.
Now go to the ‘Online Services' tab and select the option ‘Claim (Form-31, 19 & 10C)' from the drop-down menu.
On the next screen, enter your bank account number and click on ‘Verify'.
Now click on ‘Yes' and proceed.
After this, click on ‘Proceed for Online Claim'.
Now in the claim form, select the claim you require under the tab ‘I Want To Apply For'.
Select ‘PF Advance (Form 31)' to withdraw your fund. Then provide the purpose of such advance, the amount required and the employee's address.
Now, click on the certificate and submit your application.
You may be asked to submit scanned documents for the purpose you have filled the form.
After the employer approves the withdrawal request, you will receive money in your bank account. It usually takes 15-20 days to get the money credited to the bank account.
- Tax Rule Change On PF (Provident Fund). Read 10 Points
- Here's How Your PF (Provident Fund) Investment Can Make You A Crorepati
(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)