Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus Station Redevelopment: Recently, the Indian Railway Stations Development Corporation Limited (IRSDC) received 10 requests for qualification (RFQ) applications for the redevelopment project of the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Station Terminus (CSMT) station. According to IRSDC, The CSMT revamp project has witnessed the best participation in terms of the number of applications as compared to other redevelopment projects such as Delhi Airport, Mumbai Airport, Navi Mumbai Airport, etc. An in-principle approval for the project was granted by the Public-Private Partnership Appraisal Committee (PPPAC). (Also Read: Adani, Oberoi, Eight Others Compete To Bid For CSMT Station Redevelopment )
The station is being redeveloped on the basis of the public-private partnership (PPP) mode by the IRSDC. Here's all you need to know about the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Station Terminus redevelopment project:
Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Station Terminus (CSMT) Station Redevelopment Project -Top Features:
Project cost, user charges:
- Extended operations and maintenance (O&M) period: The railway station will be on a license with concessionaire for 60 years
- Additional revenue stream: The station will have pre-determined user charges, similar to airports
- About 2.54 lakh square metre of built up area (tentative) has been allowed for commercial development around the station
- The redevelopment cost of the station (mandatory cost) including the cost of financing and contingency etc. is Rs. 1642 crore, according to IRSDC
- The investment opportunity for the redevelopment is on the DBFOT or design, build, finance, operate, and transfer basis.
New infrastructural facilities:
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Station Terminus is a UNESCO world heritage site and its redevelopment plan involves the integration of various modes to make it a multimodal transport hub.
- The redevelopment project includes segregation of arrival and departure, a divyang friendly station, an energy-efficient building as well as restoring the heritage site
- The station will function like a city centre rail mall which will also have retail, F&B, entertainment, and souvenir shopping facilities for passenger's convenience.
- The station will allow seamless integration from one mode to another. Upon redevelopment, it will provide multiple access points to passengers - a direct link between suburban railway, harbour line, long distance, metro rail, and to the commercial space.
- Last-mile connectivity options will also be integrated at the station for easy passenger commute.