Here are 10 things to know about APY or Atal Pension Yojana:
1. There is a need to increase the value of pension under APY, Press Trust of India cited Department of Financial Services Joint Secretary Madnesh Kumar Mishra as saying, at a conference organised by pension regulator PFRDA.
2. "We have seen the proposal (sent by PFRDA) of increasing the pension value to (up to) Rs 10,000 per month and it is under our active examination," he said.
3. PFRDA Chairman Hemant G Contractor said the proposal has been sent to the finance ministry with an aim to increase the APY subscriber base. "Currently, we have five slabs of pension from Rs 1,000-5000 per month. There have been a lot of feedback from the market asking for higher pension amounts because many people feel that Rs 5,000 at the age of 60 years, 20-30 years from now, will not be sufficient," he said.
4. The minimum age to invest in Atal Pension Yojana has been set at 18 years. The maximum stipulated age to enter and contribute to an APY account is 40 years. APY works on pre-defined contribution slabs which enable an investor to reach his or her fixed pension goal of Rs 1,000, Rs 2,000, Rs 3,000, Rs 4,000 and Rs 5,000 at present. The earlier one starts, the lower is the monthly contribution required to reach the desired pension goal, say financial planners.
5. Minimum investment: APY comes with three modes of payment. These are monthly, quarterly and half-yearly. That means a minimum of two contributions are required every year. An 18-year-old subscriber to APY, for example, is required to pay Rs. 42 per month or Rs. 248 half-yearly for a pension of Rs. 1,000 per month after he or she attains the age of 60 years.
6. "We have placed this proposal with the government that it should be increased to up to Rs 10,000," Press Trust of India cited Mr Contractor as saying.
8. An increase in the same by another 10 years will help in expanding the subscriber base, he added.
9. As of now, the subscriber base of the Atal pension scheme (APY) is 1.02 crore.
10. PFRDA added about 50 lakh new subscribers under the scheme in 2017-18 and hopes to add another 60-70 lakh in the ongoing financial year, Mr Contractor added.
Get Breaking news, live coverage, and Latest News from India and around the world on NDTV.com. Catch all the Live TV action on NDTV 24x7 and NDTV India. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.