- Existing depositors can update Aadhaar number till December 31, 2017
- Last month, deadline for getting Aadhaar for social schemes was extended
- 135 schemes of 35 ministries will be covered by that extension
Here are five things to know about the latest notification related to Aadhaar card:
1) The Ministry of Finance has issued four separate Gazette notifications making Aadhaar - the 12-digit number given on Aadhaar card - mandatory for all post office deposits and investments in PPF, NSC scheme and KVP.
2) "Provided that where Aadhaar number has not been assigned, the depositor shall submit proof of application of enrolment for Aadhaar," said the notification dated September 29. Existing depositors who have not provided Aadhaar number at the time of application for such deposit "shall submit his Aadhaar number to the post office savings bank or deposit office concerned, on or before December 31, 2017", it added.
3) The government has insisted on quoting of Aadhaar for obtaining or maintaining bank accounts, mobile phones (SIMs) and several other utilities to weed out benami deals and black money.
4) Last month, the government extended the deadline for obtaining Aadhaar for availing government schemes and subsidies by three months to December 31, 2017. Earlier, those who did not have Aadhaar were asked to procure it by September 30.
(With inputs from PTI)
Get the latest election news, live updates and election schedule for Lok Sabha Elections 2019 on ndtv.com/elections. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for updates from each of the 543 parliamentary seats for the 2019 Indian general elections.