Puerto Rico's police chief says a campaign against celebratory gunfire is showing success.
For the third New Year's Eve in a row, nobody on the US island was struck by bullets falling from the sky during New Year's Eve. Previously, Puerto Rico saw a smattering of reckless gunfire injuries and occasional deaths on the holiday.
On Thursday, Superintendent Jose Caldero credited a police campaign dubbed "No more bullets into the air." He says authorities are "extremely satisfied" with the effort.
Messages by police discouraging celebratory gunfire have been broadcast on TV and radio leading up to the holiday. Officers have also distributed fliers warning about the dangers of firing guns into the air.