India News | Press Trust of India | Monday June 8, 2015
Skeletal remains of a human foot were found lying under a heap of rubble in a structure close to Kedarnath temple nearly two years after a catastrophic deluge hit the shrine and other parts of Uttarakhand in June 2013.
India News | Press Trust of India | Wednesday July 2, 2014
It is a little over a year since a natural calamity of catastrophic proportions hit Uttarakhand but people in the affected areas are still singing paeans to the bravery of Darshan Lal who saved hundreds of lives in Kedar valley when the deluge struck.
India News | Press Trust of India | Monday June 23, 2014
For identification of victims of last year's Uttarakhand floods tragedy, the Hyderabad-based Centre for DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics and the Uttarakhand government are trying to contact relatives of missing persons and obtain blood samples for DNA matching.
India News | Written by Sidharth Pandey | Monday June 16, 2014
A year after the Kedarnath tragedy, 26-year-old Poonam Tiwari still has nightmares. Her husband was among the priests at Kedarnath who are missing when flood waters came down the Kedar valley.
India News | Press Trust of India | Sunday June 15, 2014
The BJP today sought the dismissal of the Congress government in Uttarakhand while accusing it of failing to carry out its duty of handing over bodies to the next of kin and not undertaking rehabilitation work a year after the flash flood tragedy in the hill state.
India News | Written by Tanima Biswas | Friday June 13, 2014
Exactly a year after the floods in Uttarakhand, that killed almost 6000 people, comes a book written by journalist Hridayesh Joshi who covered the tragedy extensively.
India News | Press Trust of India | Sunday January 26, 2014
Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi today met the family members of the victims of last year's Uttarakhand flash flood tragedy.
India News | Ketki Angre | Wednesday October 9, 2013
After the massive floods and landslides in June this year, the Uttarakhand government went into an advertisement overdrive. Details under the Right To Information reveal that the state government has spent more than 22 crores on advertising in the last four months to bolster the image of the hill state.
India News | Press Trust of India | Wednesday October 2, 2013
The exact number of British nationals who went missing during the mid-June flash floods in Uttarakhand "may never be known", country's High Commissioner to India Sir James Bevan said today.
India News | Written by Sidharth Pandey | Friday September 13, 2013
Early this morning, several regional residents and shop owners of Kedarnath arrived at the revered 6th century shrine along with former Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank. The residents had evacuated Kedarnath just after tragedy struck in June and this was the first time they managed to return.
India News | Press Trust of India | Monday September 9, 2013
Pilgrims may go to Kedarnath by helicopter from next month while the Badrinath yatra will resume from October, Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna said today.
India News | Press Trust of India | Monday September 9, 2013
No more bodies were found in the upper reaches of worst-hit Kedar Valley of Uttarakhand during the past two days, even as the third round of combing operations continued for the seventh day today.
India News | Press Trust of India | Saturday September 7, 2013
The death toll in the Uttarkhand tragedy continues to mount with 68 more bodies believed to be of pilgrims who died of cold and starvation while trying to escape the devastating June floods being found on way to Kedarnath shrine.
India News | Edited by Surabhi Malik (With Inputs from Agencies) | Saturday September 7, 2013
Police teams in flood-hit Uttarakhand have found 71 more bodies in the higher reaches of the Kedarnath valley which were earlier inaccessible due to bad weather.
India News | Press Trust of India | Thursday September 5, 2013
With the weather clear at most places across Uttarakhand over the past few days, 64 more bodies were found lying over the ridges in Kedar valley and cremated with necessary rituals, a senior police officer said today.
India News | Ketki Angre | Friday August 30, 2013
For more than two months now, 15-year-old Deepanshu has had trouble sleeping at night. The images of devastation he witnessed first-hand in Rambada in Uttarakhand during the flash floods in June keep haunting him.
India News | Ketki Angre | Thursday August 22, 2013
"To my country and my people, I pledge my devotion, in their wellbeing and prosperity alone lies my happiness": As the primary school children in Dungar village in Rudraprayag district recite this pledge, another day begins here with another challenge.
India News | Written by Ketki Angre | Tuesday August 20, 2013
It's peak pilgrimage season in Kedarnath, yet everyone from the priests, hotel owners, tea stall vendors to the pony-owners are all penniless, dependent on relief ration and worried about their future.
India News | Written by Ketki Angre | Saturday August 17, 2013
It has been two months since the Himalayan tsunami in Uttarakhand left a trail of devastation with close to 5000 people missing, feared dead. It's a disaster the state is still struggling to deal with as it maps out its recovery where it's sorely missing a crucial link - road connectivity.
India News | Press Trust of India | Friday July 26, 2013
Melting of glaciers coupled with monsoon rains, triggering overflow of rivers, were responsible for the Uttarakhand tragedy, a top official of the Ministry of Earth Sciences said today.
India News | Press Trust of India | Wednesday July 17, 2013
A month after the worst natural calamity in Uttarakhand, the state government on Tuesday started distributing compensation to the next of the kin of those killed in the devastating floods.
India News | Edited by Deepshikha Ghosh | Monday July 15, 2013
Over 5,700 people still missing from 18 states will now be "presumed dead", Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna said today. But the search for the missing will continue.
India News | Vishnu Som | Sunday July 14, 2013
Nearly a month after the tragedy, the Uttarakhand government is set to officially announce the death of between 5500 and 6000 people on Monday.
India News | Press Trust of India | Friday July 12, 2013
The Supreme Court today asked the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) to apprise it within two weeks about the status of rescue operations in rain-ravaged Uttarakhand.