Chennai: After first round of talks between producers of Vishwaroopam and protesting groups on Friday failed to show results, actor-director Kamal Haasan is likely to join talks today seeking to end the ban on the movie.
Kamal Haasan, who was in Mumbai for the release of the Hindi version of the 95-crore thriller, returned to Chennai today. "There has been fantastic response to Vishwaroopam in North India," the actor said after his return.
All through Friday, his brother Chandra Haasan met with the government and leaders of Muslim groups whose objections to the film had provoked a two-week ban in Tamil Nadu. But talks were postponed as the protesters demanded Kamal Haasan's presence during the meeting. (Read Vishwaroopam's review)
Chandra, who has co-produced Vishwaroopam, said that after a first round of consultations, he was asked by protesting groups to make cuts adding upto nine minutes. But sources say Chandra Haasan told protesters that he is not technically or morally competent to make cuts, adding that the decision will be made by Kamal Haasan after he returns to Chennai.
The actor told NDTV on Thursday, "I don't think the film will have to be chopped. I will talk to my Muslim brothers." (Vishwaroopam doesn't need cuts: Kamal Haasan to NDTV)
The mediation session was offered on Thursday by Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa who stridently defended the ban, arguing that it was necessary to maintain law and order and to give both sides time to "cool down and come to an agreement." (Kamal Haasan's film could release soon, Jayalalithaa explains how)
Sources have told NDTV that the state Home Secretary, who is mediating the talks, is in favour of active engagement by both sides to resolve the controversy.
Sources close to Kamal Haasan have told NDTV that the actor is also eager to work out an arrangement. Sources have also indicated that the actor may also meet Tamil Nadu Chief Minister to thank her personally for her support.
Earlier this week, the actor, who has also directed and produced the film, met with Muslim leaders and agreed to delete a list of scenes and words that were identified as contentious. His production company, Raj Kamal Films International, asked the government to formalise a settlement.