Last week, India started the process of cancelling a Rs. 4,000-crore deal for 12 AgustaWestland helicopters because of allegations that the contract was won with kickbacks. The Defence Ministry sent a show cause notice to AgustWestland of the UK asking why the contract should not be scrapped in view of the corruption allegations. Defence Minister AK Antony addressed this in his press conference today.
Below are the highlights:
- We are waiting for the parliament session to begin
- We will present the probe details to the Parliament. There is nothing to hide
- We are waiting for CBI report
- We are trying to get the truth from our sources
- We have sent a show cause notice
- For any deal, if any foul play is there we will take action. We will show no mercy.
- We are trying to get details of the investigation from the Italian government
- There is no question of a rift with the Ministry of External Affairs
- We have blacklisted six companies
- I thought that will be a warning to everyone. But, greedy people are working around the world
- If there are reports of bribery or scams at any point of the procurement, we will cancel the deal
- No question of my resignation
- We have taken strict action against all complaints received
- Waiting for concrete evidence, we'll take action against all accused
- We have to strengthen our armed forces and modernise our forces
- If in any procurement there is a problem, we will take action
- Our armed forces are in a better position since 2010 and are prepared to meet any challenges against national security
- If you don't have belief in me, (trust) CBI and if not them then the judiciary. But don't make roundabout allegations.