The Rajasthan Royals team has suspended the contracts of three of its players who were arrested last week over allegations of spot-fixing in the ongoing edition of the Indian Premier League. The contracts of S Sreesanth, Ankeet Chavan and Ajit Chandila have been suspended pending enquiry.
Here is the statement issued by the IPL team:
As the Royals prepare for the playoffs this week, Ranjit Barthakur - Chairman, Rajasthan Royals stated that the team has re-grouped itself after the shocking events of last week and are preparing for the playoffs.
We have been working closely with the BCCI, and following the meeting with them on Sunday, we have taken a number of definitive steps:
- Based on the information provided by the authorities, the contracts of all three players have been suspended pending enquiry;
- We have already filed a complaint with the Delhi Police against all three players earlier today;
- The security deployment for the team has been expanded, again in close consultation with the BCCI;
- The franchise is in daily contact with the police authorities in Delhi, Jaipur and Mumbai for providing any cooperation/information that they might require;
- We have initiated additional internal measures, all developed with the full support of the players at their weekend regroup in Jaipur.
The franchise has been hit very hard across the board, and we have executed the strongest possible course of action in keeping with our zero-tolerance approach to these terrible actions. As stated earlier, we will protect the good, as well as seek punishment for the bad.