New Delhi: For a fourth day, large protests in Delhi expressed the widespread anger and frustration over the barbarous attack on a five-year-old. The demonstrators have been demanding the resignation of Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar, who appeared to rule that out.
The Delhi Police chief speaks to NDTV:
- I should take moral responsibility for what? Depravity in society? People's minds?
- As far as the police response is concerned, we suspended the investigating officer
- I said that exemplary action will be taken
- I clarified in the my press conference this afternoon that crime against women has grown exponentially
- So our people are taking action
- Even NGOs agree that women are coming forward to lodge complaints
- What else do you want me to do?
- Can we hang the arrested straight away?
- For dismissal, we have to go through a process
- In case of ACP who slapped a woman protester, the Lieutenant Governor ratified suspension
- We suspended him right away
- Can't dismiss errant policemen right away, but we did suspend them
- On why Metro stations were shut: Gatherings always banned at India Gate during Parliament session
- Job of police is to investigate,catch the accused. Crimes that occur within homes not preventable
- Policemen cannot be present in every household
- Who arrested Abhishek Verma? I did. If Dawood writes to Tiger Memon that he knows me, will I resign?
- No other government organisation takes action against employees like Delhi Police does