New Delhi: After taking over as the new chief of the Indian Army, Lieutenant General Dalbir Singh Suhag received a guard of honor at the Amar Jawan Jyoti at India Gate in New Delhi on Friday morning. He addressed the media in a short press meeting.
Here are the highlights:
- It is a matter of great honor for me to lead the bravest and the finest army in the world.
- I would like to express my sincere gratitude to the government for reposing faith in me.
- I am also grateful to my illustrious predecessors whose vision and astute leadership contributed to make this army what it is today.
- I firmly believe in the adage that what ultimately matters is the man behind the gun. My focus therefore will be my soldiers.
- I will ensure that our soldiers are motivated; that they are comfortable, competently led and trained and provided with latest weapons and equipments required for the assigned task.
- My focus area would be to enhance operational preparedness and the effectiveness of the Indian army, force modernization, infrastructural development, optimization of human resources, welfare of service soldiers and ex-servicemen - these are issues that are close to my heart.
- Response will be immediate if there is a provocation from Pakistan.