Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited the Pathankot Air Force base on Saturday, January 9, 2016.
New Delhi: Congress today hit out at Prime Minister Narendra Modi for his visit to Pathankot Air Force base a week after the terror attack, saying it has got relegated to a mere "photo op".
"Eight days after the Pathankot terror incident depicting failure of Modi government on national security and fight against terror, PM's belated visit has got relegated to a mere photo op.
"Need of the hour is to ensure action by Pakistan against Jaish-e- Mohammad, a thorough review of internal security safeguards and affixing responsibility for security lapses. We hope Modiji will inform the nation about action taken on these key issues," AICC Communication Department chief Randeep Surjewala told reporters in New Delhi.
In a photo tweet on party twitter handle, Congress also told the Prime Minister that "he celebrates the birthday of Pakistani Prime Minister with great enthusiasm but it takes him eight days to take care of Pathankot."
"PM Modi diverted plane to Pakistan to greet Pak PM Nawaz Sharif on his b'day, but took 8 days to reach Pathankot!," the party said in another tweet.
"There is no action on terror. Whether Modi government will run like this (Karte Nahin Aatank pe waar, Kya Aise he chalegi Modi Sarkaar)," Congress said coining a new slogan to attack Modi government.
The party had been targeting Modi government after the Pathankot attack citing BJP's Lok Sabha poll slogan "bahut hua seema par waar; Abki baar Modi sarkaar" (enough of attacks on the border; this time it is Modi government which will respond).
The prime minister today visited the strategic Pathankot Air Force base for a first-hand assessment of the situation in the aftermath of the terror attack last Saturday.
Six terrorists, believed to owe allegiance to Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammed were gunned down by the security forces after a four-day gun battle. Seven Indian security personnel also lost their lives.
The operation to ensure that no terrorist was hiding was carried out jointly by Army, NSG and IAF's Garud commandos.
Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar had also visited the base on January 5.