New Delhi: The Government on Friday declared Indian Mujahideen, believed to be a shadow outfit of banned SIMI and Pakistan-based Lashker-e-Toiba, as a terrorist organisation.
The terror outfit, which has been allegedly involved in serial bomb blasts in Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Bangalore and Mumbai, has been added by the Government in the list of terrorist organisation under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act. (Read: Indian Mujahideen -- 35th terrorist organisation to face ban)
"An order has been issued adding Indian Mujahideen and all its formations and front organisations to the list of Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967," Home Ministry said in a statement.
The Indian Mujahideen came under spotlight on February 23, 2005 when it allegedly carried out a blast in Varanasi leaving eight people injured.
The terror group, which is believed to be under the direct control of Pakistan's ISI, has so far carried out over 10 blasts in various parts of the country killing nearly 500 people, a senior Home Ministry official said.
The deadliest attack of the Indian Mujahideen was in the national capital in 2006 when as many as 66 people were killed in serial blasts.
Amir Reza Khan was the founding members of the Indian Mujahideen, which was created by ISI ostensibly to spread terror through Indian front outfits. The terror group is at present headed by Iqbal Bhatkal.