Accused in the case being taken to court, for the alleged gang rape of a Japanese tourist. (Reuters)
Six men arrested for the gang rape of a Japanese tourist allegedly held hostage for nearly a month will appear in an identity parade later this week, a Kolkata court said today.
The six men detained for allegedly extorting more than $1,000 from the 22-year-old tourist and then keeping her as a sex slave for several weeks appeared before magistrates in Kolkata, said police and prosecutors.
Five of the men were arrested at the weekend on charges including rape and kidnap while a sixth person was detained early Tuesday.
The court "ordered an identification parade of all six accused who have been arrested until now" to be held Friday, public prosecutor Dipnarayan Pakrasi said.
Police have previously said the victim will fly home to Japan after taking part in the line up.
The victim's ordeal began in Kolkata shortly after she arrived on November 20. Police say a group of men, one of whom spoke Japanese, persuaded her to withdraw around $1,200 in cash before travelling with her to the Buddhist shrine of Bodh Gaya in neighbouring Bihar.
There she was handed over to two brothers who allegedly locked her in a secluded basement and repeatedly raped her before she finally managed to escape towards the end of December.