File Photo: Goa Chief Minister Laxmikant Parsekar. (Press Trust of India)
Hours after Sri Ram Sene announced plans to start its operations in Goa, Chief Minister Laxmikant Parsekar today said the state government will extend the ban on the controversial outfit for six months.
"The ban on Sri Ram Sene would be extended by another six months. I was not aware that the ban imposed on it had lapsed in December. Some media reports pointed out that we have failed to grant the extension," he told reporters after opening the new office premises for Chief Information Commissioner in the city.
The organization had hit the headlines in 2009 after its members attacked boys and girls at a pub in Mangalore.
Sri Ram Sene has been opposing the so-called 'pub culture' in the country.
Sene chief Pramod Muthalik had told PTI last evening that they will hold a meeting in Belgaum on January 26 to finalize plans for starting their activity in Goa.
"A detailed strategy about when to start a branch in Goa and other things would be discussed on January 26 when the Karnataka state-level meet would be held in Belgaum," he said.
The outfit was banned on August 20, 2014, under section 144(4) of CrPC from entering Goa till December last year, after opposition by collectors of both districts in the state.
The ban was imposed following adverse report by the state police which feared law and order problem, if the outfit was allowed to operate.