Alliance in trouble, Chandrababu Naidu to speak to Narendra Modi today
121 seats across 12 states vote in biggest round of Lok Sabha election
Elections 2014: Top 10 heavyweights in phase five
10 big fights: featuring Nandan Nilekani, Lalu's daughter, Bhaichung
Thought public would praise us for quitting: Arvind Kejriwal to NDTV
Not silent on riots, but no exercise to understand truth, says Narendra Modi
Narendra Modi says 'excellent ties' with Sharad Pawar, who attacks him at rally
Sonia Gandhi's Telangana stop comes too late, lament Congressmen
Short on campaign funds, Arvind Kejriwal sends out SOS
Rivals in national election, Congress, BJP together against AAP in Delhi
Modi's projection as PM like a gas balloon which will burst: Mamata Banerjee
Rahul Gandhi's "ullu" barb provokes sharp BJP retort
Film fraternity urges voters to 'protect country's secular character'
Opinion: How compelling could Priyanka, the politician, be?
Narendra Modi addresses first rally in Bengal, begins in Bangla: highlights
NDTV.com | Updated: February 05, 2014 16:24 IST
Here are the highlights of his speech:
- I have come to Kolkata many times, but I have never seen a sea of people like this before.
- The netas of the third front, should look at this side and they will come to know which way the wind is blowing.
- The people of the country have decided.
- There are special links between Bengal and Gujarat. Gurudev Rabindranath Tagore's brother stayed in Ahmedabad for a long time.
- Subhash Chandra Bose demonstrated his power at the Haripura Congress in Gujarat.
- The land of Bengal has a special connection with Gujarat.
- Swami Vivekanand had a dream that we make India a country at par with other nations in the world.
- Bengal is crucial for India's development. If Bengal leads India, India can lead the world.
- Dr Syama Prasad Mookerjee used to say that an alternate political stage is required.
- The 2014 elections will be different from earlier polls, all political pundits will be proven wrong.
- The people of the country are fighting this election.
- Their agenda is one, that 60 years have passed and we cannot wait anymore.
- Too many promises and hope was given and we waited for 60 years. The country does not want to wait anymore.
- The poor need money, women want respect, fields need water, the youth need employment.
- After 60 years, do the people have to ask for these rights?
- Development also and respect also, we are going to go with both together.
- You people on choosing the West Bengal government this time have said goodbye to the government that destroyed your state for 30-35 years.
- You have fought with your lives for a change.
- But has change come?
- The government has promised you change but none has come.
- I feel that Bengal has given direction to the country in the past. In this election, can Bengal show direction to the nation?
- You give me all the seats and ask me to give you an account of what I have done for you.
- In 2014, the BJP government at centre will help the people in Bengal. Then who is benefiting?
- There should be a government in Delhi that will work for West Bengal also.
- If you give me all the seats, will I not want to come here more often? Won't I want to work for you more?
- If West Bengal accepts BJP once again, We will solve all your problems.
- If you have made such a decision for a the state, make a decision for change on a national level.
- Bengal is a state that has the blessing of Goddess Saraswati and Goddess Lakshmi.
- This state has the power to give a lot to the country.
- The first ambassador car was made on your land.
- But now the youth of the state has to leave for jobs.
- West Bengal is lagging behind here and I implore you that we cannot wait anymore.
- I have come here with the determination that I will bring change here.
- At a time, West Bengal used to contribute 10% to agriculture, Now it barely contributes 3-4%.
- Has anyone brought any change to the life of the laborers?
- Factories are shut, because the Delhi government cannot give you fuel and that is why there is no light here.
- The toilets for girls in schools is only 60%. What is the change that is coming here?
- How will you use computers, if you do not get electricity.
- Only 35% schools have electricity supply. How will children learn and get educated?
- The entire West of this country is suffering. How can India become strong if one side is weak?
- I feel that West India needs to move towards progress.
- There is one major reason for the lack of development because third front has not set foot in the east of the country. That is why that side has achieved progress.
- The third front will make India third rate.
- When elections come, the poor are given attention and they talk of secularism.
- For 35 years, communists have ruled this state.
- There are less Muslims in Gujarat but the quota for Haj pilgrims is 4800.The people applying for the Haj pilgrimage is 37000.
- In West Bengal, the quota is 12000 and the number of applications is also 12000. This means that the government has considered them as a vote bank.
- Bengal is troubled by Bangladesh immigrants. Jobs should be given first to Indians but those jobs now go to Bangladeshi's.
- According to me the government's sole religion is nation first and the holy book is the constitution.
- This time vote for BJP, there will be three benefits. Mamata ji will help the progress of the state. I will look after you from Delhi and Pranab da is yours.
- It would have been better if Pranab Mukherjee was made the PM of the country.
- They refused to take Pranab da in the Central government also.
- In 2004, Pranab da was the most senior and if Sonia ji did not want to sit, the seat should have been given to him and not Manmohan Singh.
- Indians are proud people and hold their honour above all else and only ask for empowerment through health, employment opportunities.
- There is far more that unites us than what divides us. We must rise above the politics of division and rise above as a nation.
- Subhash Babu said, give me blood and i will give freedom.
- I ask you people, "Aap mujhe saath do, main aapko swaraj doonga"
- Also See