- BJP works to pacify Shiv Sena, Narendra Modi dials Uddhav Thackeray
- Live Blog: Battleground 2014
- BJP and Chandrababu Naidu ponder the pros of a partnership
- Nitish Kumar loses two confidantes, one of them a minister, to the BJP
- For BJP, acquisition of Ram Kripal Yadav may not be painless
- 'Ignored', Mallika Sarabhai not to contest Lok Sabha polls
- The Infy Touch: now political rivals, but with a lot of courtesy
- In Narendra Modi's Gujarat, Rahul Gandhi's lessons on leadership and love
Karnataka Assembly elections: filing of nominations ends, Congress candidate richest in fray
Indo-Asian News Service | Updated: April 17, 2013 21:36 IST
Prominent people to file papers today included Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar from Hubli-Dharwad Central in north Karnataka.
The highlight of the day was the richest candidate - Priya Krishna of the Congress - entering the fray in a Bangalore constituency.
29-year-old Priya Krishna, seeking re-election from Govindarajanagara in west Bangalore, has moveable assets worth Rs.815.37 crore, immoveable assets of around Rs.95 crore and liability of Rs.777.79 crore, showed the affidavit filed by him.
Priya Krishna is the son of realtor M Krishnappa, who is also seeking re-election on a Congress ticket from neighbouring Vijayanangara seat.
Mr Krishnappa is popularly known as "layout Krishnappa" as he bought land in and around Bangalore and formed residential layouts. He has declared assets of over Rs.100 crore.
Scrutiny of the nomination papers will take place tomorrow and the last date for withdrawal of nominations is April 20.
Voting will take place May 5 to elect 224 of the 225-member assembly. One member is nominated. The counting of votes is on May 8.
- Also See
Modi's national aspiration couldn't be ignored after he registered a third successive win in Gujarat's Assembly elections.
In his first election, the 45-year-old activist turned politician defeated incumbent chief minister Sheila Dikshit in her on constituency by some 22,000 votes.
The former actor, with roles in nearly 150 films, has inked a partnership of his Desiya Murpokku Dravida Kazhagam (DMDK) with the BJP.