- Arvind Kejriwal stopped from dropping in to see Narendra Modi
- Live Blog: Battleground 2014
- Narendra Modi vs MM Joshi: BJP's internal battle in Varanasi
- 'RSS people killed Gandhi': Sangh to sue Rahul Gandhi for comment
- BJP targeting Arvind Kejriwal in Gujarat, AAP complains to Election Commission
- Done deal. BJP scores alliance with Vijaykanth in Tamil Nadu
- 'Not that he is my son but...': In Karnataka, election time is family time
- Nitish Kumar's party picks director Prakash Jha as an election candidate
- The whole country knows BJP's character: UP Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on NDTV
Jayalalithaa gives Vijayakanth's DMDK 41 seats
Press Trust of India | Updated: March 17, 2011 18:06 IST
DMDK founder-president Vijayakanth along with party presidium chairman Panruti Ramachandran and Youth wing secretary Sudheesh called on Jayalalithaa at her Poes Garden residence in Chennai, to cement the pact under which the party had been allotted 41 seats, a joint statement released to the media said.
On February 24, actor-politician Vijayakanth's DMDK had launched formal poll parleys with AIADMK to "oust DMK from power". Though backdoor negotiations were going on for some time, it was the first time that leaders of both parties had met to initiate poll talks.
Though Vijayakanth has been consistently holding that his alliance was only with the people and no other political party, the DMDK, however, opted for tie up under pressure from party cadres.
Founded in 2005 by Vijayakanth, DMDK made its debut in 2006 Assembly elections, with Vijayakanth winning from the Viruddhachalam seat, even as his party polled 8 per cent popular votes.
However, the party's performance in the subsequent by-polls and 2009 Lok Sabha polls were sub-par, even as it played spoilsport to AIADMK's prospects by splitting the votes.
- Also See
Modi's national aspiration couldn't be ignored after he registered a third successive win in Gujarat's Assembly elections.
In his first election, the 45-year-old activist turned politician defeated incumbent chief minister Sheila Dikshit in her on constituency by some 22,000 votes.
Charged with three counts of murder, Amit Shah is a close aide of Narendra Modi, the BJP's candidate for prime minister.