New Delhi: Visiting Chinese Premier Li Keqiang and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh held formal talks in New Delhi today and briefed the press. Both sides reaffirmed their commitment to areas of mutual concern with particular focus on border issues. Dr Singh said that there had been an agreement that peace at the border must be preserved and that lessons had been learnt from the recent incident on Western sector, referring to the incursion in Ladakh. Premier Li stressed on the need for sincere dialogue.
Here are the top 10 points from their joint statement:
- Both sides reaffirmed mutual sensitivities for each other's concerns and aspirations.
- Both countries view each other as partners for mutual benefit and not as rivals or competitors.
- India and China consider the potential for a bilateral Regional Trade Arrangement and review the state of negotiations on the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP).
- While striving to realise the trade turnover target of $100 billion by 2015, the two countries agreed to take measures to address the issue of the trade imbalance.
- The Chinese side shall provide greater facilitation to Indian pilgrims for the Gang Renpoche and Mapam Yun Tso Pilgrimage (Kailash Manasarovar Yatra).
- Two sides agreed to consult the other parties with a view to establishing a Joint Study Group on strengthening connectivity in the BCIM (Bangladesh, China, India, Myanmar) region.
- The leaders expressed satisfaction over the work done so far by special representatives of the two countries on the boundary question and encouraged them to push forward the process of negotiations and seek a framework for a fair, reasonable and mutually acceptable settlement in accordance with the agreement on political parameters and guiding principles.
- Two sides shall work together to maintain peace and tranquility in the border areas in line with the previous agreements.
- The two sides will further strengthen cooperation on trans-border rivers.
- Support for an "Afghan-led, Afghan-owned" reconciliation process.