Two dead, hundreds missing after ferry carrying 700 passengers sink in Philippines
World | Agence France-Presse | Updated: August 16, 2013 21:59 IST
Manila: At least two people were killed and more than 600 were missing in dark seas after a ferry collided with a cargo ship in the Philippines today, authorities said.
Coastguard spokesman Commander Armando Balilo said the bodies of two people had been plucked from the water, and the fate of most of the rest of the others on board was unknown.
The ferry, Thomas Aquinas, sank near the port of the central city of Cebu shortly after colliding with the freighter at 9:00 pm (1830 IST), navy spokesman Lieutenant Commander Gregory Fabic told AFP.
Story First Published: August 16, 2013 21:43 IST