Several people are reported dead at a supermarket in New Jersey after a gunman opened fire. Unconfirmed reports say the gunman is among those killed.
Here is a timeline of some of the other worst shooting incidents in recent times carried out by one or two gunmen in the United States.August 24, 2012
- Two people are killed and eight wounded in a shooting outside the landmark Empire State Building in New York City at the height of the tourist season.August 5, 2012
- A gunman kills six people during Sunday services at a Sikh temple in Oak Creek, Wisconsin, before he is shot dead by a police officer.July 20, 2012
- A masked gunman kills 12 people and wounds 58 others when he opens fire on moviegoers at a showing of the recent Batman film "The Dark Knight Rises" in Aurora, a suburb of Denver, Colorado.April 2, 2012
- A gunman, identified by police as Korean-American One Goh, kills seven people and wounds three others in a shooting rampage at a Christian college in Oakland.January 8, 2011
- Then-U.S. congresswomen Gabrielle Giffords is target of an assassination attempt in Tuscon, Arizona in which six people are killed and 13, including Giffords, wounded.April 16, 2007
- Virginia Tech, a university in Blacksburg, Virginia, becomes site of the deadliest rampage in U.S. history when a gunman kills 32 people and himself.November 21, 2004
- A 35-year-old Hmong immigrant and naturalized U.S. citizen allegedly shoots eight people, killing six, while deer hunting east of Birchwood in northern Wisconsin.October 2002
- John Muhammad and Lee Malvo kill 10 people in a string of sniper-style shootings that terrorize the Washington, D.C. area.July 1999
- A gunman kills nine people at two brokerages in Atlanta, after apparently killing his wife and two children. He commits suicide five hours later.
- Two heavily armed teenagers go on a rampage at Columbine High School in Littleton, Denver, shooting 13 students and staff before taking their own lives.