Pakistan today countered the US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's remarks that it had not done enough against the 2008 Mumbai attacks mastermind Hafiz Saeed saying that any evidence against him should be shared with Islamabad so that it can be examined by the courts.
"Our position on Hafiz Saeed is clear. We have independent and active courts. If anyone has proof against him, they should share it with us so that the courts can examine it," Foreign Office spokesman Moazzam Khan told Press Trust of India (PTI).
Earlier on Monday, speaking exclusively to NDTV in Kolkata, Mrs Clinton had said that she had authorised a $10-million reward for the information leading to the capture and prosecution of Saeed, who now heads the Jamaat-ud-Dawah (JuD). "I recently authorized a 10 million dollar award for one of the people (Hafiz Saeed) we believe was the mastermind of the attack in Mumbai that killed 166 people, including six Americans and we want everybody associated with this brought to justice. It may take longer than any one of us would like but we are going to be standing with you to make that happen," she said.
Saeed, who is the founder of banned terror group Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) has mocked the bounty, saying he was living openly in Lahore.
"We're well aware that there has not yet been the steps taken by the Pakistani government to do what both India and the US have repeatedly requested them (to) do...And we're going to keep pushing that point. So it's a way of raising the visibility and pointing out to those who are associated with (Saeed) that there is a cost for that," Mrs Clinton said.
Saeed was placed under house arrest after the UN Security Council declared the JuD a front for the LeT in the wake of the 2008 Mumbai attacks but he was freed within six months on the orders of the Lahore High Court.